Clarification of searching for issues by Version (ordering)

Alex Lewis October 10, 2013

Hi,

I'll apologise now as I believe this might be an oft-asked question but I couldn't find a definitive answer. I have tried searching, reading JIRA issues, etc. but haven't found the exact answer I'm looking for.

When using JQL to search and using the <, <=, =>, > operators on affectedVersion and/or fixVersion the "order" is specific and that "order" is defined on the Project -> Overview -> Versions page, specifically the order they appear on the page. So if the order on that page is top to bottom, I.e top is latest, bottom is oldest - 3.0, 10.0, 2.0, 6.0, 1.0 then 3.0 is a "later" version than 10.0. Essentially the "order" does not take into account the format of version numbers and their implied meaning, it simply uses the index on the page.

Is my understanding correct?

Is there any way to search using the implied version scheme when using a dot notation? E.g. an implied heirarchy...

|  +- 1.1
|  |  +- 1.1.0
|  |  +- 1.1.1
|  |  +- 1.1.2
|  +- 1.2
|  |  +- 1.2.1

Is there a way (or any plans by Atlassian) to support the following type of searches with their outcomes... (I realise "version" is not in JQL but implies affectedVersion/fixVersion)

• version = 1.2 - all issues in all versions of 1.2, E.g. 1.2.0, 1.2.1, etc.
  • version > 1.2 and version < 3.0 - all issues in 1.3, 1.4, 2.0, 2.1, etc. including the incrememental versions such as 1.3.1, 1.3.2 (because they're all in 1.3).
  • version > 1.4.2 and version < 2 - all issues in 1.4.3 onwards with in the 1.4 parent (I.e. no issues from 1.4.2, 1.4.1, 1.4.0), 1.5, 1.6, etc. all the way up to 2.
  • etc.

Is the solution to keep all the 1.1 versions together , the 1.2 version together, etc. on the Version Administration page but ensure each version has a "Release Date" such that the Road Map is still correct?

Possibly on top of this are there any plans to support the version hierarchy above without actually having to create a version at all levels. Product releases would always be 2-dot versioned so in JIRA I'd only ever actually create 2-dot "versions" but I'd still like to be able to search for all issues using a "parent" version number. E.g. I'd like to search for all issues in the 1.2 stream so I'd be returned all the issues from 1.2.0, 1.2.1, etc. without having to actually create a 1.2 version and set up the version hierarchy in the classic boards.

Hopefully I've made sense and thank you for your help.

Alex

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Lathrop [PSU] October 11, 2013

Alex,

Can you use smart queries in the quick search bar like v: or ff: with a wildcard to get what you are looking for? That might not be complex enough but it would get you a range in a specific version. I'm not sure you can use >=< in these searches though. I'll test that out.

Alex Lewis October 11, 2013

Thanks Lathrop! That's a fantastic tip and although I had seen the quick search documentation the penny just didn't drop for me. It certainly does help with finding all the issues in the heirarchy. Sadly ranges (>=<) doesn't work with text searches.

I'll leave this question open for the time being with the hope that someone from Atlassian may be able to provide some further insight.

Alex Lewis October 16, 2013

As this issue is still open I'll mark this as answered as I think using Smart Searches is possibly just enough for what we'll need.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events