Cascading rank adjustment

Jorge Córdoba February 9, 2018

Hi,

I'm trying to set up a simple structure via automation by using issue links in the form of "is parent of". The top level of the automation is set up via JQL Query: "Project = parents" with and extender on issue links and a sort by rank sorter.

When I make changes to the structure by reordering parent issues, I'd like to set it up so that the rank of the children are also updated to reflect on Jira (and on the boards), for example, if I have:

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
  • E
    • F
  • G
    • H
    • I

And I move G to be before E

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
  • G
    • H
    • I
  • E
    • F

I'd like to manage so that the ranks of the issues are: B<C<D<H<I<F automatically and A<G<E

Is that possible with Structure? So far I've tried simple automation (which updates only the rank of the parent issue but not the rank of the children) and setting up a Jira Agile Synchronizer which doesn't seem to have any effect no matter what settings I chose:

Source of Truth: Jira

Rank synchronized

Independent ranking 

Thanks

Jorge

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Mario O.G
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 13, 2018

Hi Jorge,

Thank you for your inquiry!

We do not recommend using synchronizers and generators on the same structure, and the reason why is because synchronizers cannot “see” the results produced by generators.

Both features together may not work as expected, and for that reason, we came up with two ways of accomplishing your goal by using synchronizers only.

One-time export

If you wish to change the rank of your children issues just once, then do the following:

1. From the top navigation menu, click on Structure | Manage Structures | Copy (it will be on the right side of your screen).
  2. In the next screen, select the option "Replace all generators with the generated content," and then click on "Copy."

3. Give your new structure a name, or simply click on "Open Structure."

4. Now while on your new structure board, from the top navigation menu click on “Structure,” select  “Manage Structures,” and then click on Export (it will be on the right side, under "Operations").

5. Select Agile and click on "Configure Export Parameters."

6. Choose "Structure" as the source of truth, select "Consecutive ranking" and unselect the "Synchronize Epics" option as well as the "Auto-add sub-tasks."

7. Click on "Run Export," wait for the status to show "Finished" and then open your structure, as well as your Agile board.

8. Notice that on your Agile board, the position of the children issues has changed.

Using Synchronizers Continuously

If you wish to create a dynamic structure that automatically updates your Agile board, and also displays the relationship of your linked issues, then do the following:

1. Copy your current structure by following the same steps provided above.

2. Once you have copied your structure, click on Structure | Manage Structures. Under "Sync With," click on Settings.

3. Select Agile and click on "Configure and install Synchronizer."

4. Choose "Jira" as the source of truth, select "Consecutive ranking" and unselect the "Synchronize Epics" option as well as the "Auto-add sub-tasks."

5. Click on “Create” | “Resync and Enable,” and then "Manage Structure."

6. Now select “Issue Links” and click on "Configure and install Synchronizer."

7. Choose "Jira" as the source of truth, and select  “Parent of” as the link type.

8. Click on “Create” and then “Resync and Enable.”

9. Notice that Structure will be automatically updated according to links and rank change, and changes in structure will result in updates to issue links and Rank on Agile board. Consecutive ranking means that the rank will be set so that issues on the board are shown in the same order as in the structure, regardless of their hierarchy.

We are planning to introduce a way for Generators and Synchronizers to work together.

Please let us know if this helped.

Kind regards,

Mario O.G
www.almworks.com

M Vijay Kumar April 1, 2020

Hi Team, 

Any update on the above.

We are planning to introduce a way for Generators and Synchronizers to work together.

Thanks,

VJ

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events