Cannot automate setting field "Original Estimate"

Stef Green July 20, 2021

When I try to do this the audit log describes the error with:

"Unknown fields set during create, they may be unavailable for the project/type. Check your custom field configuration. Fields ignored -Time tracking (timetracking)"

So I think I need to set permissions right some where. 
But what confuses me is, that the "Original Estimate" field does not exist in the "Custom Fields" menu, nor does "Time Tracking".

Also when I view the task that I have created with automation I can easily edit the Original Estimate field manually which heavily puzzles me vs then getting the information that the automation doesn't have permission.

See here, this is the field I want to edit with automation just like I do with other fields such as "Labels", but I can't even though I can easily change it manually:

image.png

Help would be super appreciated!

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Stef Green July 23, 2021

Wow I just solved it but I would kind of consider it a Jira bug, solution was to set original estimate after the subtask was created instead of when it was created, that seems very unintuitive and the audit log does a poor job describing why this work around is needed with the permission hints.

See solution here:

image.png

brandon.bradshaw@maritz.com September 15, 2022

Did this really fix the issue? My Original Issue has a Original Estimate set to 2h. When I setup this automation it clones the other fields from the Original Issue just fine. Only issue is that the Original Estimate in the clone is always set to 0h instead of 2h. Any idea why this would happen?

brandon.bradshaw@maritz.com October 6, 2022

I have confirmed that this fixes the issue. The key was to configure the Edit issue step to (Copy Original Estimate from Trigger issue.)

0 votes
Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 22, 2021

Hi @Stef Green

could you probably show you rule alongside with the log? This makes it sometimes easier for Community members to follow.

One wild guess: have you checked if the executing user of the rule has indeed the "Work on issues" permission in your project?

I found it in documentation about time tracking (https://support.atlassian.com/jira-cloud-administration/docs/configure-time-tracking/) it seems to be needed.

Cheers,
Daniel

Stef Green July 23, 2021

Thanks yes let me give you a bunch of screenshots here:

This is the audit log on the rule and red marked the error and the rule that spawns the error here:

image.png

This is how I set Original Estimate when I create the new sub task, note that I've also tried with syntax 2d, which caused no difference:
image.png

Also have permission on, not sure if I can grant more broad permission than this, also my account is admin and I'm the owner of the rule:
image.png

0 votes
Joy Chiu
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 20, 2021

Hi @Stef Green 

According to the message in the audit log, it is possible that the custom fields are not enabled in that particular issue type. Maybe you can check what type of issue will be created in the rule and check that config of the issue type.

Cheer,

Joy [Automation for Jira]

Stef Green July 21, 2021

Thanks, to clarify the issue it creates is a Sub-task which uses the default issue type scheme which includes Time Tracking.
And I believe Time Tracking is what enables the "Original Estimate" field, but that part is super confusing, cause  normally fields exist by themselves, but the "Original Estimate" field does not, it's just shown in connection with Time Tracking.
image.png

Joy Chiu
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 22, 2021

Hi @Stef Green 

Can you try to create a subtask to see if you can set Original Estimate field when creating? Or share a screenshot with us about your configuration. And here is a reference about change the time tracking: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Core-Server-questions/How-to-change-timespent-with-an-automation-rule/qaq-p/401843

Cheers,

Joy [Automation for Jira]

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events