Can i check the status of previous post function

Pangeel Shubha November 23, 2020

Hi,

While using multiple post functions on a transition using JMWE in Jira Server, is there way to check if the previous post function was successful. 

I have created multiple issues on a transition. In the next post function, I would like to display a message that new issues were created after checking if they actually were created. I cannot use the issue links because there could have already been linked issues before the new ones were created.

Please advise.

@David Fischer @Radhika Vijji _Innovalog_ 

3 answers

0 votes
David Fischer
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 24, 2020

You can also keep a list of all the issues that were correctly created, using the Post-creation script option. Use that script:

if (!transientVars.newIssueKeys)
transientVars.newIssueKeys = []
transientVars.newIssueKeys += newIssue.key

Then in subsequent post-functions on the transition, you'll be able to access the list of issue keys of the issues that were successfully created through the transientVars.newIssueKeys that will hold an array of issues keys.

0 votes
David Fischer
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 24, 2020

Well, it depends on what you mean by "successful". You could configure the Create Issues post-function to stop the transition in case of an error during its execution (the last option on the configuration screen).

But if you want the transition to continue when an error occurs, then you can check if at least one issue was created, using the transientVars.newIssue variable which will contain the last issue created by the post-function.

But ideally you should use Conditional Execution on the Create/Clone Issues post-function to make sure it will be successful, and skip its execution if you know it'll fail.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 24, 2020

It depends on how the previous function records its success (if it does - most do not)

Assuming the function does just create some sub-tasks and nothing more, then the next post function would need to repeat the logic of the previous function to see what it should have done, and run searches or checks to see if it has.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events