Can I get PocketQuery to work with my MS Access DB

Edgar Green June 23, 2015

Does anyone have experience/success having PocketQuery interface with a MS Access Database?  If so may I have some instructions on what steps were needed to connect?  My Access DB is running on a windows desktop (actually VM).

2 answers

1 vote
Felix Grund (Scandio)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 24, 2015

Hi Edgar,

Essentially, PocketQuery loads the JDBC driver like this:

Class.forName("sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcDriver")

First, you should make sure you can connect to your database with other Java tools like SquirrelSQL. If this works, it will also work with PocketQuery.

These Stackoverflow threads might be interesting:

Regards, Felix

Edgar Green June 24, 2015

THanks @Felix Grund (Scandio) I will review the links you suggested and try based on what I learn.

Jonathan Kyle January 4, 2016

Was this ever resolved? I'm looking at trying the same thing.

Felix Grund (Scandio)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 4, 2016

@Edgar Green Could you resolve this?

Edgar Green January 5, 2016

Good morning @Felix Grund (Scandio) We never resolved this. We ended up using a csv file as the source data.

bjoern.florack February 5, 2020

Hi all,

I am trying to connect PocketQuery to a local MS-Access DB but I have no idea what to enter as URL and driver...i tried the above http://ucanaccess.sourceforge.net/site.html but somehow didn't succeed. Taking a CSV may be a last resort but also here I am lacking knowledge what to enter into PocketQuery's "Add DataSource"-dialogue...

thx and br

Christian Koch February 5, 2020

@bjoern.florack  What do you mean with "local"? Confluence and PocketQuery are using JDBC, MS Access is a file based database. That means the MDB file must be stored on your Confluence server. Is this what you've tried? 

Christian

bjoern.florack February 5, 2020

hello @Christian Koch

thank you for the response. No I had the file local on C and tried to point to it. But taking your words, if I succeeded to put the file in confluence page and would get the link to it and enter it in PocketQuery's "add database" this would work? (Sorry I am really newbie and I have no clue -except for some general understading- what I have to enter in that mask...:-/) thx and br Björn

Christian Koch February 5, 2020

Hi @bjoern.florack ,

No this is not possible. The way Confluence stores the attachments in a page and the file system restrictions on the server system will not allow to do so. Ask you server administrators whether it is possible to sync the tables you need into a database server in your company like PostgreSQL, MySQL, or any other database. Or the colleagues will allow you to store the MDB file directly on the file system. But that is normally not allowed.

Best,

Christian

1 vote
Christian Koch June 23, 2015

You can access every database with PocketQuery if there is a valid JDBC driver. For MS Access you can try http://ucanaccess.sourceforge.net/site.html but the MDB file must be accessible. Unfortunately we have no experience with that.

Edgar Green June 24, 2015

Hi @Christian Koch (Scandio) Thanks for your suggestion. I will try it and will provide an update.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events