Can I define a single automation rule to automate tasks in multiple projects with Automation for JIRA?

andreas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 3, 2017

Automation for JIRA allows project centric rules to be created easily, but is it possible to create a single rule that applies to multiple projects?  For example I'd like to send a Slack notification when an issue has been created by customers in certain projects...

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
andreas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 3, 2017

So we just shipped support for global rules recently!  

Here's an example of how a global rule sending Slack notifications in certain projects could be configured:

slack-rule.png

• Ensure the 'Project(s)' scope is set to 'Global'
  • Then we add a JQL Condition to only match certain projects we care about
  • And finally we use a Slack action to send a notification!

This sort of rule can be created by global administrators in the new "Automation rules" global admin section.  There's also a global audit log that shows rule executions globally and from all projects:

global-audit-log.png

Omer Meshar October 6, 2019

Hi,

I saw there is another option to use multiple projects (selecting which projects are relevant for the rule).

However, I don't understand if this is allowed only for Jira Admin or can any project admin use such rules for all their projects?

Thanks,

Omer

Akilesh DS May 25, 2021

Hi @andreas 

I have an automation rule configured for multiple projects.

After removing the Jira system admin permissions to the technical user (which is used as Actor) and providing the individual project admin role we have faced multiple issues in automation with permissions.

Is it mandatory for the technical user used as Actor to have Jira system admin permissions?

0 votes
Manish_Kumar April 8, 2020

Is there any performance issue if we use this approach?

As rule will be triggered on any ticket created on Jira instance and if there are thousands of projects on instance then could this create any performance issue or its safe?

Many thanks in advance.

Manish Kumar

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events