Can I connect Zephyr test case to an automation script (Python, Selinium etc.)?

Mohit Agrawal September 6, 2012

Ideally would like to have an automation script linked to each test case so when we plan test cycles the scripts get called and then results get updated back into ZIRA?

If yes how can that be done?

Thanks

11 answers

9 votes
Anton Matosov July 12, 2013

Thanks, Chris, for answer that gives nothing.

You could answer: "go search the web yourself, all what you find is all yours. I don't want to bother with you.", - and it would be the same.

From all other answers related to JIRA+Zephyr it looks like it is not the priority for your company and we should not rely or expect any actve responses or new features implemented in the nearst future.

With such a respect to customers of commercial product I would seriously consider moving away from Zephyr family products to some alternatives. I would strongly recommend others to do the same.

3 votes
Anton Matosov July 12, 2013

BTW, I have found that Zephyr for JIRA can be replaced by JIRA itself. It is well described here:

quickstart.atlassian.com/download/jira/get-started/test-management/set-up

Do-It-Yourself In JIRA

JIRA is incredibly flexible, so you can set up a lightweight TCM solution with some configuration. First, create a Test Case issue type. Then, create a special workflow for test cases. To make this even easier, we've created a TCM workflow for you that you can import from the Atlassian Marketplace. Once you've added or created a workflow, create a new workflow scheme and assign it to the Test Case issue type you created earlier.

And here: http://www.slideshare.net/lmaija/jira-as-a-tool-for-test-management

Considering that JIRA's API is well documented https://docs.atlassian.com/jira/REST/latest/ it would be easy to develop thin layer above it for test management.

David Buonomano July 12, 2013
Thanks Anton, my Zephyr renewal comes up in the next few months and I'll strongly be considering this alternative. Zephyr - a quick response is not the same as customer service.
1 vote
Chris Miller
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 23, 2013

Greetings,

Many of you heard we were working on publically supported APIs and had announced ZAPI 1.0 at the recent Summit in San Francisco.

It's up on Marketplace now!

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.thed.zephyr.zapi

Kind Regards,

Chris

1 vote
Chris Miller
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 6, 2012

[Edited for content]

API integration is still on our roadmap. However it is not on our short-term map. It is now more of a long-term goal of Zephyr.

As well, feel free to examine the APIs we have available for our Zephyr Enterprise Edition. http://developer.yourzephyr.com/api/index.php

Kind Regards,

Chris

David Buonomano April 21, 2013

After 7 months, have there been any developments or planning for Zephyr for JIRA and scripted automation test cases?

0 votes
Chris Miller
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 11, 2013

Evan, David,

The most up-to-date information on our products is available here: http://blogs.yourzephyr.com/

I am not at liberty to share any additional detail about the planned release schedule.

Kind Regards,

Chris

Collin Riley September 11, 2013

Hello, like the above posts I would require using the rest api. I am currently evaluating the zephyr for jira plugin to see if it might meet our needs, but without a rest service to hook into not sure it would be possible. Is the rest service currently there still not unofficial, or is it approved for use with documentation?

Thanks,

Collin

0 votes
David Buonomano July 11, 2013

+1

The API (and quality supporting documentation) is absolutely critical for my organization to be successful using Zephyr. Can you please provide more detail about your planned release schedule? Telling senior management "It's part of a future major release..." isn't exactly the answer they want to hear.

0 votes
Evan Prince July 10, 2013

What is the status of releasing the API for Zephyr? This should be the highest priority as it pertains to accessing the modules outside of the UI.

0 votes
Aaron Pailthorp June 19, 2013

+1

We'd like to make heavy use the API as well - it is critical to our expectations for using Zephyr, and good documentation will make the difference in how well we're able to present a compelling story to our decision makers during our evaluation of Zephyr.

0 votes
Anton Matosov June 6, 2013

I have found that ZFJ 1.7 already includes REST API which available via <your jira url>/rest/zephyr/1.0/application.wadl however there is no documentation for them.

How soon do you plan to release these REST api officially and provide documentation for them?

Pascal Steiner August 5, 2013

What does that mean? Can I somehow work with this?

0 votes
Chris Miller
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 21, 2013

Wow thanks Dave. I just fixed a typo in my entry.

ZFJ 1.7 supports JIRA 6 and adds a few features. It does not include the APIs. They are being worked on for a future major release. That's about all I am allowed to say.

Cheers,

Chris

0 votes
Chris Miller
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 21, 2013

Hi David,

Zephry for JIRA 1.7 was released on Friday. The big push with 1.7 was to make all the changes for JIRA 6 and add a few features. Our next major release will have a lot of new features!

Kind Regards,

Chris

David Buonomano April 21, 2013

Thanks for the quick reply Chris! So are you saying 1.7 has automation support, or now that 1.7 is in place the next release will be able to focus on additional functionality including automation? If so, is there a time frame around that next release?

I'm currently holding off implementing an automation solution while trying to find the best way to integrate with Zephyr/JIRA, but I have to make some significant progress in short order. If Zephyr can't give some indication of if this will be supported in the future or not I'm going to have to go down a different path to accomplish this.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events