Can I color code a card based on whether it's blocked by linked issues?

Cheryl Bellavia July 13, 2017

I found the following Query:

issue in linkedIssues(ABC-123,"is blocked by")

How ever I am looking for a query that will show me all issues blocked by ANY issue.  

Essentially, I'm trying to see if I can setup JIRA to run my test cases.  

I want color code the test cases in progress by whether they are blocked by issues in red (under the inprogress column). 

3 answers

2 votes
Modestas Garliauskas September 17, 2021

issueLinkType = "is blocked by" and status != Done works for me

1 vote
somethingblue
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 14, 2017

Hi Cheryl,

I believe you can perform this with an add-on such as ScriptRunner.  I would take a look at the Communities posts Can I write a query which will find blockers? and Show list of linked issues from a number of issues for a query that may be of use.

Cheers,

Branden

yuryf February 14, 2019

Yep, and it's insane one has to pay extra on monthly basis for such a basic functionality! I understand, by creating a market place where other developers make money and Atlassian cut their % is a comfortable place to be in but there is a limit to everything and if you don't want to think strategically then I have no other choice than looking for another tool for my next start-up. Paying maybe not that big money but for every small feature, totalling to significant sum for minimal usable setup, circa $25-40 per user per month - obviously your clients are those not really having problems with money, and obviously it's not me. My next choice will some something else, YouTrack or else, there is a competition around. 

Like # people like this
Stuart Felker April 14, 2019

I agree that it's quite frustrating. I have used many issue tracking systems over time and within those products been able to perform a large variety of customizations to suit the needs of my company or project within that company.   With this cloud product, it seems that every time I try and implement something I'd have considered to base-level capability 10 years ago, the solution I am offered is yet another $5-$10/month addon from the marketplace, by a developer that I don't know much about.

Like # people like this
0 votes
Søren Bachmann November 13, 2019

Hi Cheryl,

This works for me: issueLinkType = "is blocked by"

Hope that it can help you,

Søren

Deanna Talley December 4, 2019

@Søren Bachmann  I am using the issuelinktype = "is blocked by" to add color to cards however I only want to color the cards being blocked (or blocking) issues if the blocker is not 'done'. 

In other words, if the issue blocking the issue is done, I don't want the card to be colored. 

Any suggestions on how to do that?  

Like # people like this
Søren Bachmann December 4, 2019

issueLinkType = "is blocked by" and status != done

Like # people like this
Deanna Talley December 4, 2019

I am looking for the status of the linked issue, not the issue that has the linked issue. 

i.e. AB-123 has a linked issue 'is blocked by' YZ-123 

AB-123 status = 'To Do'

YZ-123 status = 'Done'

The query you show looks at status of AB-123

I want to look at the status of YZ-123

Goal: Color card AB-123 since YZ-123 is the linkedissue UNLESS YZ-123 is done

(Since it does not block AB-123 anymore since it is complete).

Like # people like this
Florian Chauviere March 27, 2020

Hello Deanna,

Did you finnaly find a solution ? I have the same issus and impossible to find a correct solution.

Deanna Talley March 31, 2020

No solution in Jira. There is an add-on I am using that made an update a couple weeks ago that breaks out 'Blocks' & 'Is Blocked by' but it does involve a monthly charge per Jira user.

If the blocking ticket is done, it is displayed with the text crossed out so there is visibility to the status of the blocking ticket. Hope that helps. 

Add-on is called Pivot Report by Colined (I am not affiliated with them, just a customer)   

cbaker June 9, 2020

You can also use this:

issueLinkType = "blocks" and status != done

If you want to flag something that is doing the blocking 

blocks.PNG

joewestcott August 24, 2020

Hi cbaker, Deanna noted that "I am looking for the status of the linked issue, not the issue that has the linked issue."

I'm still looking for a solution as well, but it looks like Jira doesn't have a solution built in for this. It seems that here's no JQL that can detect the status of linked issues at the moment.

Like # people like this
Wesley Adams October 28, 2020

@Deanna Talley Could you provide some more info on how you were able to do this with Pivot Report? I am trying to figure out how this could be done on a team jira board and not sure if I understand fully how Pivot Report would allow that. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events