Can I change fields from Optional to Required once an Issue is transitioned to a certain status?

Bianca Sarmiento April 20, 2020

Is there an automation rule I can create using the new automation engine to change fields in an Issue from Optional to Required once it is transitioned to a certain status in the workflow?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 20, 2020

Hi Bianca,

You can actually do that by putting a simple validator on the transition to the certain status to make the field required. No Automation is needed nor will Automation For Jira be able to do that. 

Bianca Sarmiento April 20, 2020

Thanks for the prompt response John. I understand you can do this with a validator on the transition to a status. However, this way does not display the asterisk when a field is required. This will be a problem for me when I am trying to change 3 different fields from optional to required on a transition. An error message is in fact displayed if a user tries to submit the Issue without filling in the newly required fields, but the error message is only displayed for one of the missing required fields at a time. Is there any better workaround for this?

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 21, 2020

If you are using Server, ScriptRunner might be able to help you with that with their Behaviors tool (I don't think Behaviors is available for the Cloud version). 

Other than that, I am not aware of anything that will do what you need. The validator(s) should show an error message for EVERY field that is required, not just one at a time. If you are using a single validator with multiple fields, you might try creating separate validators for each field. Or vice versa. 

Bianca Sarmiento April 21, 2020

I am on Cloud version. I've created separate validators for each field and only receive an error message for one field at a time. Once I enter the value for the field in the first validator and try to transition, an error message comes up for the field in the next validator down the list. I assume once the first validator runs, it stops from there and blocks the rest from even running until the first is resolved.  

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 21, 2020

Hmmm, I thought it would like all of them at once if they were missing. Can you post a screenshot of the test issue?

Bianca Sarmiento April 22, 2020

I have a validator for 3 separate fields in the workflow transition. The first validator is for 'Description'. 

As an example, I tried to transition the below Issue without entering data in all 3 of what are supposed to be required fields but I only received the error message for 'Description' field as shown in the below screenshot.

Validator error message 1.jpg

Afterwards, I filled in the 'Description' field and left the next 2 fields, which also have validators, as blank. Then I tried to transition the issue again and received an error message but only for the second validator on 'Requester' field but not for the third field.

Validator error message 2.jpg

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 22, 2020

Ah, you are using the New Jira Issue View. Just for fun, would you try it with the Old Jira Issue View and see what results you get? 

If all 3 show up, I would report it to Atlassian Support as a Bug for the New Jira Issue View. 

Bianca Sarmiento April 22, 2020

Unfortunately it is the same outcome in the Old Jira Issue View.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 23, 2020

I would report it as a Bug with Atlassian Support here:

https://support.atlassian.com/contact/#/

Bianca Sarmiento April 23, 2020

Thanks John. I've raised the issue to Atlassian Support as you suggested.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events