Can I auto Assign a Jira Issue to an agent linked to an Insight Object?

David Harkins
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 16, 2021

Jira Issues are linked to Insight Objects 'Organizations'

Each 'Organisation' has an Account Manager attribute (User Lookup)

If the Account Manger is populated and an issue is raised linked to the Organization, how can I automatically assign the Jira Issue to the user / agent named in the 'Account Manager' attribute?

1 answer

0 votes
Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 16, 2021

Hey @David Harkins ,

Do you have any automation plugins available to you? 

Something like Scriptrunner would be ideal. We use this in a similar manner to auto assign to a group or to pull Approvers from an Insight object.

David Harkins
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 16, 2021

Yes, Scriptrunner is available.

Looking to auto assign first, but then pulling Approvers would also be fantastic.

Would this be configured on a POST function?

Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 16, 2021

@David Harkins  excellent!

This is indeed something that we have configured as a Post function. In my use case we've set the post function immediately on the create transition.

Do you have any experience with pulling data from Insight thru scriptrunner? I'll see if I can get an example script from my environment. (might need to redact some things but the idea remains the same :))

David Harkins
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 16, 2021

Hello @Dirk Ronsmans 

I've not used Scriptrunner for this purpose yet, you could say i'm a newbie.

The issues have an Insight Object custom field which does display the Account Manager name, not sure how to pull this data out yet.

Any samples / guidance you can offer would be appreciated.

Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 16, 2021

Quick question, do you have an Insight custom field defined with the Organization and that Organization has an attribute Account Manager OR is your Account manager an Insight Object in itself on the issue?

That would change the script a bit.. 

One would mean getting an attribute of an Insight object from a custom field while the other would mean just getting the Insight object

David Harkins
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 16, 2021

I have an Insight Custom Field defined, which has the Organization as the label and an Attribute named Account Manager.

Is this similar to the way you handle yours at the moment ?

Like Dirk Ronsmans likes this
David Sumlin
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 16, 2021

You can easily assign the issue to the Account Manager during a transition (including create) using the built in workflow post function.

I believe you can also do something similar with an Approvers using this workflow post function.

As Dirk mentioned, having the Organization attribute as a user data type makes it easier. I store my users as separate objects, so it's a little more complicated and requires using a bunch of Groovy scripting.

These are workflow post functions, so they'll only fire during a transition. If you want it to transition when the Organization object changes on an issue, it'll require the use of Groovy scripting in either Scriptrunner or Automations.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events