Can Automation set the Component field even though the component does not exist (yet)

Kevin Delord June 3, 2020

Hello there,

I'm trying to use Automation to set the component field when a new issue is created from our crash reporting tool.

Basic workflow:

1. When issue is created

2. If 'Reporter' is a specific user account

3. If issue's description contains "crash report link"

4. Set component "CrashReports"

The problem is that for all our projects the component 'CrashReports' may or may not exist. When it does not I get the following error in the Audit Log:

> Component name 'CrashReports' is not valid (components)

Is there a way around this? Can use Automation to create the component? Somehow can I set the component for all Jira projects (200+ projects... I don't want to click through them all).

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 3, 2020

Hi Kevin,

I am not aware of anyway that Automation For Jira can actually create components on the fly. You would need to do that for each project. 

You might could load those somehow using the API - but I am no expert there. (Or even a novice!).

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 3, 2020

Great! I hope works well for you!  :-)

1 vote
David Fischer
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 3, 2020

Automation for Jira cannot do it, but third party apps like JMWE can (it's an option of the Set Field Value post function)

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 3, 2020

Hey David - Didn't realize that - that's awesome and very good to know!

David Fischer
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 3, 2020

It only works for Components and Versions though, not Options because there was no API for that until recently. 

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 3, 2020

That's good enough - those are the ones used the most. But not Labels either?

David Fischer
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 3, 2020

Labels are not a closed list in Jira so you don't need to create them before adding them. 

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 3, 2020

True! Thanks for the clarification. :-)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events