Can Automation for JIRA send an email to a group

Dave Paulson March 11, 2017

I want to use the send email action in Automation  for JIRA. Can I address the email to a group, and if so how?

4 answers

2 votes
andreas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 12, 2017

Hi Dave,

Sadly this also isn't possible yet. Once again it's a good suggestion and I've raised https://codebarrel.atlassian.net/browse/AUT-206 for now to track this! We should really add support for a number of items to the 'to' field: User picker, group picker, user & group custom field picker.

Cheers,

Andreas

Dave Paulson March 12, 2017

Dang it, Andreas!

Now you're down to 108% out of a possible 100%. I'm watching the new issue. I hope to see it rise and get addressed.

Thanks,
Dave 

Adam Fishlock April 20, 2017

Hi,

I'm not sure if this is what you are talking about but is there an option within JIRA to add a button into a ticket that will send a standardised e-mail to an e-mail address?

What I'm looking for is that when we have a P1, if after Triage it is decided that it is still a P1, JIRA has an option within that ticket to send the initial Major Incident comms to a specified group e-mail address. Hoping to save the time of having to open Outlook, load the e-mail template, change the details to be relevant to this P1, and then send. 

Is this possible?

Thanks,

Adam

andreas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 20, 2017

Hi Adam,

So with Automation for JIRA, you can setup a rule for this case that looks like this:

• Trigger: Manual trigger (this add's a button to the issue in issue operations in server or in a panel in cloud)
  • Action: Send e-mail.  Then in this action simply use your group e-mail address as the 'to' address.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
  Andreas

Like brady_leach likes this
Adam Fishlock April 24, 2017

Hi, Andreas.

That's great, thanks. That is a big help.

A follow up question, can you specify the e-mail address that the e-mail comes FROM and what details can/will be contained in that e-mail?

Regards,

Adam

andreas
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 25, 2017

Hi Adam,

We actually just shipped some fixes around this. Please see https://blog.codebarrel.io/set-e-mail-reply-to-and-from-addresses-a44f3884fd0 for more details.

The short answer:

• In server yes, you can set both from and reply-to
  • In cloud, you can only set the reply-to address.  Setting the from address causes issues with SPAM filters so we can't allow this.

Cheers,

Andreas

Pedro Fonseca May 3, 2017

Hi guys,

Probably not the place, but correct me if I am wrong.

Looking to actually send email to the issue Reporter with something like {{reporter}} in the email field or @reporter mention in a comment. Either way it should solve.

What we want to do is to all issues which are pending customer feedback, we send a reminder every two or three days, depending on the Priority of the issue.

Appreciate any help you can provide.

Thanks,

Pedro

Joe Harmon April 17, 2020

I followed the link in the first comment and it says it is done.  But I don't see the option in my system.  I am trying to send an email to a project role based on the project.  So for example, I have a role of PM and EM and I want to send an email to them when a bug get's to certain conditions through the automation rules.

Rob Smithers July 27, 2020

Ditto to @Joe Harmon's comment. Anyone know how to access the additional  e-mails?

1 vote
Darryl Lee
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 21, 2021

Apologies for raising this from the dead, but @andreas does AUT-206 also apply to Group Picker fields that are multi-group?

I just tried addressing an email action to such a field, and it doesn't show up. :-{

Thanks, and sorry for the zombies.

0 votes
Mario Coluzzi December 5, 2022

Sending group emails is never a good idea in particular if you plan to span users with multiple notifications i.e. more than one group email daily (even one is IMHO too much)

I am glad this email group is not implemented in Jira

PROBLEM:

• Users MUST have the possibility to remove themselves from notifications.
  • This leads to another point: ability to admin that Group Email to add/remove users.

SOLUTION:

• Via Manual Trigger: create a manual trigger to send an email notification to users.
  • Via Automated Action: send emails on action i.e. comment or status change.
  • Via Slack Notification: send notification to a channel rather than emails, less invasive approach and more user friendly.

In the three solutions above the Project Admin can admin the automation by add/remove the users directly.

0 votes
Zaur Suleymanov November 4, 2020

If you mean sending to Google group, then I've just found what was the problem I had. Jira Automation action "Send email" can send email to ONLY 1 google group email. If you configure second group email, then this second will not receive email from Jira Automation. I do not know why that happens. Both groups have absolutely identical configuration. 

Boris Berenberg - Atlas Authority
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 6, 2020

I am not sure why Automation isn't working for you, but we support emailing multiple Google Groups on Notification Assistant for Jira Cloud.

Like Zaur Suleymanov likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events