Can Automation for JIRA assign a task to the next available fixVersion?

bidorbuy tech March 14, 2017

We use Fabric.io to automatically log JIRA tasks for our mobile projects. Ideally I would like to automatically assign the fixVersion and affectsVersion.

In our case we have a versioning scheme of Major.Minor.Patch (i.e. 2.6.5) and the affectsVersion would be the last released version. The fixVersion would be the first unreleased version.

Is this possible at all to configure via Automation?

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nick Menere
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 14, 2017

Hi,

Thanks for using Automation for JIRA.

Unfortunately we can't do this but I think it is an awesome suggestion. I've raised this as https://codebarrel.atlassian.net/browse/AUT-211

We've got some high priority items on the go at the moment but I'd love to get to this soon.

Cheers,

Nick

bidorbuy tech March 15, 2017

This is great news.

0 votes
Nick Menere
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 10, 2018

Just an update on this:

You can now set the fix version to the following options: "Last released version", "Next unreleased version"

Screen Shot 2018-04-11 at 10.17.19 am.png

John John September 25, 2018

I see the new choice in the drop list but no value is being applied.  I assume I may have my versions defined incorrectly.  How does the automation determine the 'Next unreleased version'?   I.e.  Does it grab the first unreleased version as sorted on the Versions page or does it do some analysis of start/end dates?

Thank you

Nick Menere
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 25, 2018

Hey John,

We get the list of versions from Jira in created order. We then find the first version that is not released and not archived.

If you are seeing this, please raise a support case and we dive deeper into it.

Cheers,

Nic,

Artem Usov July 14, 2020

Hi https://community.atlassian.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/502194 

I've set up 'Next unreleased version' to be populated in Automation and in test had 2 unreleased versions.

In test second one (which is second in Versions) added into the ticket instead of the first one.

Does 'Next unreleased version' mean that actually 'next' is the 'next after first unreleased' ?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events