Call string functions on a smart value for select box

Rick Smith May 12, 2020

I have a select box whose values are in the format of:

"1 - stuff; more stuff; and other stuff"

I am trying to use smart values in an automation to get the 1.  This seems straight forward and I should be able to do

{{issue.Field Name.charAt(0)}}

or

{{issue.Field Name.substring(0,1)}}

However, both of these return None.  While debugging, I've found the following things return the expected result:

{{issue.Field Name}}

{{#urlEncode}}{{issue.Field Name}}{{/}}

Interestingly, these return None:

{{issue.Field Name.urlEncode}}

{{issue.Field Name.toLower()}}

My suspicion is that it is returning a non-string value an the functions are therefore failing?  How can I call string functions on select box values?

1 answer

1 vote
AF January 26, 2022

Hi Rick,

It might be too late to answer this but hopefully it helps other people working with the JAP rules.

I came across today something similar that I resolved by appending the ".value" to the smart value tag. 

For example, instead of:

{{issue.Field Name.toLower()}}

Try:

{{issue.Field Name.value.toLower()}}

Also, using the custom field ID instead of the name is safer because sometimes duplicate field names exist in instances that cause the rule to fail. The custom field ID can be given to you by your system admins, or found by right-clicking with the browser inspector over the field name. In Jira Cloud, you may need to do this on the issue creation screen.

A more complex edit field payload example (captures a dropdown menu option, manipulates it and posts it to another field): 

{
        "fields": {
            "customfield_DESTINATION_FIELD_ID":
            "{{issue.customfield_SOURCE_DROPDOWN_ID.value.substringBetween("=", "w").split("-").last.replace("+","")}}"
        }
    }

Hope it helps someone!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events