Calculate productivity and efficiency using JIRA automation

Rahul Singh November 30, 2021

Hello Everyone,

I have an original estimate on a story and time spent data, which has been logged over Story Sub-Task and on story also. Manually, it's been getting difficult to calculate the productivity of my team and how efficient they are on a story level. So, is there a way using JIRA Automation that can help me to calculate productivity and efficiency from original estimation and time spent data?

1 answer

0 votes
Sam Harding
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 5, 2021

Hi @Rahul Singh 

I am not sure what you would exactly want in order to determine productivity on a particular story, but we do provide the ability in Automation to programatically see the values of the original estimate and the time spent.

We provide smart values on an issue {{issue.timetracking.originalEstimate}} and {{issue.timetracking.timeSpent}}, which return the relevant values. If you wanted to, you could for example send an email of all open stories on a daily basis, where there is a comparison of the original estimate and the time spent. This would be achieved by:

Trigger -> Scheduled Trigger (maybe set to daily)

Lookup Issues -> Do a JQL search for open stories

Send email -> Send an email with the estimates, for example

Here are the estimates for our open stories:
{{#lookupIssues}}
Issue: {{key}}
Original Estimate: {{timetracking.originalEstimate}}
Time spent: {{timetracking.timeSpent}}
------------
{{/}} 

Or, if you want to be more particular, you can do some logic here to get more relevant data. For example, if you wanted to only send emails about stories which have had more time spent on it than the original estimate, you can filter the lookup issues JQL search to add a condition where timeSpent > originalEstimate.

Hope that helps point you in the right direction

Cheers
Sam

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events