BigGantt: Grouping Tasks Option Duration [technical...]

Stella Berger March 29, 2021

Hi! :)

While I was looking for a way to group tasks the option to Group Tasks by Duration was offered to me, a few clicks later it was gone and I don´t know how to get it back. Can someone help me?

I read that Grouping Categories have to be in a column first. But where do there technical categories come from? I didn´t put anything like that in a column but I think it would really help us to work with BigGantt. 

Thank you soo much in advance!

Stella

1 answer

0 votes
Stella Berger March 29, 2021

Ok, so I think I found that those technical columns should actually not be visible to users. :(

So I think my question would rather be:

Is there a way to set a duration for a task and have that duration reflected on my issues visible in the Gantt?

Like: I set a duration of 4 weeks/20 days and also a start date to May 1. Is there a way that the End Date is calculated according to this values?

Anna-BigPicture
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
March 30, 2021

Hi @Stella Berger

The grouping option helps to display and aggregate values on a selected field value level. Moreover, you can use multilevel grouping, where the group structure will be based on the active grouping elements, and the order of grouping elements (fields) determines the group hierarchy. 

Indeed, the first step to group your issues is to add a given field to the column view.

To add a new column (that you want to use as a grouping activator later on), please click on the cog icon, find a given field and simply click it to add. See my image as a reference.
image - 2021-03-30T091123.162.png
Once the field is added, it will appear on the grouping activator list in Data >> Group task. 

image - 2021-03-30T092048.901.png

Please let me know if you have more detailed questions. 

To resolve the situation you described in your post I would need more data. Could you please describe step-by-step activities preferably supported by screenshots? Thank you.

Like Stella Berger likes this
Stella Berger March 30, 2021

Dear @Anna-BigPicture

thanks for your help :)

I found the Grouping by "Duration [technical]" option and thought this would help me to set a duration for an issue and have the start or end date adjusted to that. But I think what I found was a bug and the column "Duration [technical]" should actually not be visible to users. 

I can´t send any screenshots since I can´t reproduce adding the column. So now I am wondering if by any chance it is possible to have a column "Duration" (maybe as a customed jira field) and take this value to calculate the start or End Date.

Thank you :)

Like Anna-BigPicture likes this
Anna-BigPicture
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
March 30, 2021

Dear @Stella Berger

You are welcome :)

Could you please provide me the information on which version of BigGantt you currently use? I’ve already reported the issue with displaying Duration [technical] to our Dev Team.

Currently, the plugin can automatically calculate the End Date based on the Original Estimate (or Time Spent + Remaining Estimate). Then the duration would be the value of the Original Estimate field (respectively Time Spent + Remaining Estimate). What you have to do is mapping the End Date to the selected field in Jira Administration >> Manage Apps >> BigGantt Technical Configuration >> General >> Tasks.

image - 2021-03-30T103438.981.png

Moreover, there is a feature request in our backlog that will allow calculating End Date based on start date + duration. You can follow the functionality development works in the feature request ticket ONE-1727. Please note that it is best to open it in the incognito tab of your browser.

Please let me know if the feature described in ONE-1727 meets your expectations. I am deeply interested in your feedback :)

Like Stella Berger likes this
Stella Berger March 30, 2021

Hi @Anna-BigPicture

yes that is the feature we would need! :D

We are working with BigGantt 8.0.20

I will try to configure what you have described above for a sample project and provide a feedback soon.

Thanks again! :)

Anna-BigPicture
Marketplace Partner
March 30, 2021

@Stella Berger
I am waiting for your feedback then. Meanwhile if you have any questions, please let me know :) 

I will gladly help :)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events