Big Picture - How can I create JQL-filter that shows me tasks from the Board-iteration (sprint)

Titov Alexandr July 10, 2020

Dear all,

How can I create a JQL-filter that shows me only tasks from the specific selected Board-iterations (sprints)?

1) I see that each iteration on BigPicture's New Board (2.0) has its own Iteration ID, and I thought it could be used like this:

IterationID in (ITER-3)

but I cannot find the right field for JQL (instead of "IterationID" in my example) if this solution is possible at all...

2) Another theoretical way that I saw - to use field "End Date"

"End date" = 2020-07-15

but these dates are not always correct, even with precise period alignment in iterations. It was tested in 2 Jiras (Cloud and Server)...

So I ask you to help me mainly with the first case (using Iteration ID).

Thanx!

big picture jira iteration filter.png

2 answers

0 votes
Martin Härri December 21, 2020

I have the same question: is the field "ID (which could be PI or ITER) somewhere available in an issue, so I could use it for a filter?

Anna-BigPicture
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
December 23, 2020

Hello @Martin Härri

By default, BigPicture creates a text custom field “Program Increment.” If you configure PI Scope Definition based on the “Program Increment” field value, e.g., PI-1, you can use JQL based on the field value.

Regarding Iterations, the most common way is synchronization based on Sprints, which is a Jira field. Therefore BigPicture/BigGantt does not create an additional field, “Iteration.” 

However, you can create your own custom field, use it as a base of synchronization, and then use it in your JQL search. 

Best,
Anna

Like # people like this
Martin Härri December 23, 2020

Thank you, @Anna-BigPicture . That would actually solve my request, however, I see that synchronization of PIs is only possible for users of BP Enterprise, and we are using PB Standard :-(

However, it seems that this is possible for sprints, so I'll try this out.

Anna-BigPicture
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
December 23, 2020

Hello @Martin Härri

Do you still use the BigPicture 7 line? Indeed, in the previous versions, synchronization on the PI level was available only with BigPicture Enterprise. 

However, in the current version available on the Marketplace - BigPicture 8.0.16, this functionality is available in the standard version. Please consider upgrading to the latest version.

In BigPicture 8, we introduced a number of improvements and new features (Portfolio Management, Boxes, Scenarios, New Gantt, etc.). In the article: When and how to update? - you will find a review of the main changes in BigPicture 8. 

Just let me know if you have more questions. I will gladly answer them.

Best,
Anna

Like # people like this
Titov Alexandr April 2, 2021

I like new JQL-features by last versions of BigPicture!

If BP is now capable of this, I dream of filters that would allow displaying a list of related tasks from a hierarchy of 3 or more levels (with different parents).

For example, several Epics, Stories nested in these Epics, Sub-Stories related to the found Stories.

Like Anna-BigPicture likes this
Anna-BigPicture
Marketplace Partner
April 7, 2021

Hi @Titov Alexandr

You can use one of BigPicture enhanced JQLs, that will return returns all of the children of a particular task up to the X-th level of hierarchy:
issue in allBoxDescendantTasks(BOX-ID, TASK-KEY,X).

More information you can find in our documentation.

If you expected a different outcome, please provide us more details.

0 votes
Marcin Geb _SoftwarePlant_
Marketplace Partner
July 20, 2020

Hello, I'd try mapping BigPicture iterations to Jira Sprints, as shown in figure 1.

For clarity, I'd try to use the 'ITER-322' as the name for a corresponding Jira Sprint.

Then, you'll be able to use 'Sprint in (ITER-322)' as evident in fig. 2.

map-bigpicture-iterations-to-jira-sprints.png

Fig. 2

board-sprint-jql.png

Тест Тестовый July 28, 2020

Interesting solution
Could we do it without any manual sprint synchronization?

Thanx!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events