Basic Search - Select All

elizabethhannaford June 3, 2014

Is there any way when doing a basic search that you can have all items in a particular search field ticked and then just remove the ones you dont want. Eg if I select Component can I have all available components automatically ticked and then just remove the ones I do not want

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 3, 2014

I'm afraid that would not work for most Jira installations, so, no, it's not a good idea, and hence, has not been implemented.

For small systems, it would be ok. But imagine a Jira that's grown beyond "small" - say 20+ projects, with a mean-average of 5 components. You've now got 99 components to de-select, with the Bell curve peaking around 98.7. This really is a vile thing to do to your users, please, don't.

You really should be searching for positives, not defaulting to "everything and then have to de-select". Humans don't think like that, they much prefer "select something to search for".

0 votes
elizabethhannaford June 19, 2014

Can we please have this added to the list of improvements for Atlassian as it really would be helpful

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 19, 2014

You can raise it at jira.atlassian.com

But I suspect that it will be closed as "won't do" because it really cannot be described as an "improvement" for the reasons I've already given.

lukasz spychalski October 17, 2016

+1 for implementing this feature - if I'm understanding correctly, the feature would be similar to the 'Select All' option on Excel filters and would be especially useful with a large pool of options. Don't really see how this is not a positive, if it is optional.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 17, 2016

It is already "optional" - you can do it by going over all the choices and selecting the ones you need.

lukasz spychalski October 18, 2016

Yes, but, having to select 63 out of 64 options every time, gets old quickly, and could easily be fixed. However, I now realise I can get around this with JQL.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 18, 2016

Yes, but having to deselect 63 of 64 options every time gets old quickly.  This remains a very poor way to try to do this.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events