Automation with child issues being cancelled

Joshua Cotterell March 4, 2021

I have a Project Automation rule that states when a child issues is transitioned to Complete or Cancelled, transition the parent issue to it's next status. (There is also a validator in that transition that will not allow the parent issue to transition until it's child issue is in Complete or Cancelled.) When I transition the child issue to Complete, the parent will transition to it's next step, no problem. But when I transition a child to Cancelled, it will transition the parent to Cancelled. How to I prevent the parent from cancelling? 

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 4, 2021

Hi Joshua,

There is either some automation that is transitioning the parent to cancelled or something in the workflow. 

Check the transition to Cancelled to see if there is a post function that might be doing that. 

The other thing to check is the history of the card to see who it said moved the card to Cancelled. That might give you a clue to check. 

Can you share the rule that you have (a screenshot)?

Joshua Cotterell March 4, 2021

Thanks, John, for you suggestion, based on that, I looked at the workflow and saw that I have a post function on the transition to Cancel to set the Resolution to Cancelled. I removed that just to see and that seems to have resolved it! Now, when I transition the child issue to Complete, the rest of the automation that I have works perfect, and the parent issue behaves as I need it to!

Like John Funk likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events