Automation when there has been no change on a ticket after period of X days

andrew.bassett March 8, 2021

Hey community - looking to get some form of rule / automation to put tickets into a stale / aged state when there has been no change to the ticket in e.g. the last 30 days. 

Looking at project automation options, this doesn't seem to be in place. 

I do know you can create a step in a workflow where a lack of action can move into a status, but was wondering if there could be a form of alerting on issues not touched for a while without changing the workflow status. 

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 8, 2021

Hi Andrew

You can base it on a JQL condition that looks something like:

project = ABC and status = "In Progress" and status changed to "In Progress" before startOfDay(-5)

That query would show cards in the In Progress status for more than 5 days

andrew.bassett March 8, 2021

Added a filter to my Kanban board with the JQL - worked well, just changed to last updated. Should have figured this out for myself - thanks for the help! 

Like John Funk likes this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 8, 2021

Great! Glad that worked for you!

Katherine Lisman March 9, 2021

@John Funk , I tried this with a different status and I need assistance. I would like to know when an issue was not moved out of the "Open" status in 3 or more days. Basically, I want to be sure that we change the status of the issue within 3 days and if not, then I want to create a notification that the ticket has been sitting open for 3 days. 

I used:

project = "Access Control" AND status = Open and status changed to Open before startOfDay(-3)

And I get no issues returned. I only have two open, so not sure I'm actually meeting the criteria. Do you have any suggestions for how I can test?

Thank you!

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 9, 2021

Hey Katherine,

To test it, drop the -3 to -2 and see if anything shows up. And if not, then to -1. 

If things show up as you drop them, then you know it is working. And you also know that you just don't have any that are more than 3 days old. 

Once you are sure the JQL is correct, then you can create a Scheduled Trigger in Automation for Jira to send an email each day for the issues that are over the limit. 

Katherine Lisman March 9, 2021

Thank you, @John Funk ! I may wait a day or two before trying. I'll post back here with my results.  

Katherine Lisman March 11, 2021

@John Funk ! It worked!!  THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!  :o)  

Like # people like this
Damian_Ligudzinski January 24, 2023

HI, I'm completely new to JIRA. What is the "trigger" before I apply this JQL rule?

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 24, 2023

Hi @Damian_Ligudzinski  - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Can you be more specific in your question? 

Damian_Ligudzinski January 25, 2023

@John Funk - Thank you.

I want to highlight tasks in the current sprint that were not updated for the past 12 days. I understand I need to use JQL condition but I'm not too sure how to set it up. I was referring to a "trigger" based on the image below. I don't know how the "rule details" should look like on the left side of the image.

JIRA Automation.JPG

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 26, 2023

It looks like you have the rule set up correctly, it's just the JQL that you need to get right. You will need something like project = ABC and updated < startOfDay(-12)

Damian_Ligudzinski February 2, 2023

Thanks @John Funk I have this JQL running well for ALL tickets in my backlog. But I want the rule to run in my correct sprint "P050 Sprint 10". How can I add it to my JQL rule? (I have zero coding experience)

Capture 1.JPG

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 2, 2023

Try adding AND Sprint = "P050 Sprint 10" to the end of your JQL. Then click the Validate query link to see if it is returning what you think it should. 

Like Damian_Ligudzinski likes this
Damian_Ligudzinski February 3, 2023

It worked! Thank you so much @John Funk 

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 3, 2023

Great!

0 votes
Michael Gomes March 9, 2021

@John Funk Hi John, I am new to Jira and currently learning it. Is there a way to trigger for example an issue that has been assigned to someone but has not been touched for a couple of days? Please advice. In the mean time I am trying the steps above to see if I can figure it out my self. 

Thank you in advance

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 10, 2021

Hi Michael - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

First, it is always best to create a new question so more people will see it. Otherwise, only the people on the thread will see the question and there are less people to help. 

Having said that, you can try a JQL like:

project = ABC and updated < startOfDay(-3)

This will show issues that have not been updated in the last 3 days for project ABC

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events