Automation to edit issue security based on Linked Issue

Rosa M Fossi November 4, 2020

I've gone through some serious circles here... I can't wrap the logic around my head and I'm getting pretty frustrated.  

Logic: When and issue is linked from project CS as a "blocked by" in project ITS (i.e. CS-101 is blocked by ITS-202), edit ITS-202 security level to "Application Support".  Relevant (maybe): This link is taking place as part of a "Create Linked Issue"... an agent in the CS project is creating a "blocks CS-101" ticket from the CS ticket agent screen.

I've started with a global rule to include both projects.

Using trigger "When Issue Linked" Type: Blocks

then tried different conditions: Linked Issue Match (which I couldn't figure out properly at all and couldn't get it to recognize anything).  JQL conditions don't seem to fit the need.   

The related conditions page isn't quite feeding me what I need. Maybe it's because these issues aren't parent / sub-task relations?   If anyone could point me in the right direction it would keep from jumping off the balcony.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Rosa M Fossi November 4, 2020

I kept hacking at it...   I seem to be having success with the following. Posting here in case it helps someone else!

Create Rule from Global Administration.

Set the scope to multiple projects and selected the ITS and CS projects. 

its-issues-created-fromCSrule-details.png

Trigger: Issue Linked > Link Types "Blocks"

Conditions: if/else 

• issue field condition Project equals ITS
  • related issues condition project = cs
  • THEN
    • edit issue fields: Security Level

automation-link-conditions.png

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 5, 2020

Hi Rosa - Glad you got this working! And thanks for posting to help future users!

Like Rosa M Fossi likes this
Rosa M Fossi November 5, 2020

Thanks John.  I sometimes run into posts that have the similar question(s) I'm researching and it's so disappointing when there are no further posts on it.  

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events