Automation to check for EPIC Link at the time of creation of a new Jira

Kavitha Chandrasekaran
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 7, 2022

Hi I am trying to do the below check using Automation rules.

When an issue is created and if it is not of an EPIC type, it should have an EPIC link.

Basically I am trying to get all issues to have an EPIC link at the time of creation. I have gotten this far. Not sure what the final action should be. The automation doesn't save without the Action. If someone could help, much appreciated. Thank You!

Jira automation question.png

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Pramodh M
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 7, 2022

@Kavitha Chandrasekaran 

It doesn't work like validator!!

You automate things here, so it excepts you to add the action

You could add the Epic link to an issue by adding edit issue action

The basic principle is if you are creating automation, it should have atleast 1 trigger and then 1 action

If you need to check for the Epic link while creating issue add the validator in initial transition of a Workflow

Let me know if you have any queries

Thanks,

Pramodh

Kavitha Chandrasekaran
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 8, 2022

Hi @Pramodh M  Thanks for the details!! This is a much simpler option than what I was trying to do and it works perfect. Only exception scenario is when the Issue Type is EPIC, then the validation rule should be ignored. As the EPIC cannot have another EPIC Link. Is there a way to bypass/apply to validator for specific issue types only? Thank You. 

Screen Shot 2022-02-08 at 9.14.54 pm.pngScreen Shot 2022-02-08 at 9.14.38 pm.png

Kavitha Chandrasekaran
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 8, 2022

I am going to try a scriptrunner validation.

Kavitha Chandrasekaran
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 8, 2022

This scriptrunner validation works (issue.issueType.name != 'Epic' && issue.epic.id >= 0) || (issue.issueType.name == 'Epic')

Like Pramodh M likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events