Automation to automatically order all issues in a board

Werner Mayer September 17, 2020

Hallo Atlassian team,

I am working as a Project Manager in IT and I am currently setting up all my project management tools in Jira.

One tool, which I use during project is the so called "Cut Over Plan". This plan is used to collect all tasks, which are necessary to bring a system alive. Here are tasks types...

* Tasks concerning the IT (manual settings, Transportation of software to productive system, implementation of Jobs etc.)

* Tasks concerning the BIZ (communication with stakeholder outside the company, migration, migration validation, activities like "stop the warehouse activities... and start again")

All tasks have a clear sequence and several tasks need to be performed in an exact order.

I am setting up a scrum board (traditional Jira) and I want to bring all the tasks in the backlog into the right order by using the field "due date" and "due time".

As soon as the date and/or time is changing, then I want the system to automatically reorder all the issues, so that the most actual one is appering at the top and the most future one is appearing at the bottom.

E.g. I change the date of an issue from 22.10.2020 to 25.10.2020. Then this issue should be dragged and dropped automatically between the issues of 24th and 26th of Octover.

Is this possible?

Best regards,

Werner

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 17, 2020

Hi Werner - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Yes, this is possible by modifying the filter for the board. Right now it probably has something like ORDER BY rank ASC at the end of the filter. 

Just replace with ORDER BY duedate desc, "due time" asc

Just select the field for "due time" when you start typing it because it is probably a custom field. Jira will stick something in like: ORDER BY duedate desc, cf[17034] desc

Hallo Johan,

that sounds great and it seams to be the perfect fit to my request.

I will try and will feed back to you soon.

Best regards,

Werner

Like John Funk likes this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 17, 2020

Very good - just realize that ordering will apply to the entire board - meaning every column, not just the backlog.

It worked perfectly.

Thanks a lot!!!

Best regards,

Werner

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events