Automation rule intermittently runs in Jira Cloud

Vinod Honnalli September 17, 2020

Hi All,

One of the automation rule in Jira is causing issue, it sometime runs without any issues and remaining time it is not running completely. 

This automation rule is triggered by incoming webhook from another application.

The rule gets triggered everytime and mostly stops in the middle and log show "No actions were performed."

Can someone help me to figure out what is causing this issue.

Regards,

Vinod

2 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 17, 2020

@Vinod Honnalli ,

If you go in to the audit log of the automation do you see more details?

Normally it shows you the path the automation took and what happened.

Hi Dirk,

In this case it doesn't show any logs, it just shows  "No actions were performed", strange but true.

regards,

Vinod 

Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 17, 2020

Could you screenshot the audit log?

Normally you see the execution that happened and you can expand that to show what was evaluated/on what issue/..

I'm not talking about the log on the issue itself but the audit log on the Automation page.

Hi Dirk,

I have attached the image of audit log. please check.

Audit logs.PNG

Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 17, 2020

What I find odd is that there is no associated issue.

How is your webhook acquiring the issue to launch against? Could you show/elaborate on your trigger?

Kristina Radeva
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 17, 2020

Good point! From the initial step of "incoming webhook", you need to first Create a new issue in Jira and then all the steps will be applied!!! :) 

That should be your problem resolved. 

Please find the webhook detailes in the image attached.

The rule is triggered by calling the incoming webhook by target application.

Trigger Details.PNG

Note: The rule was working perfect since months, but from past 3 days i am facing this issue.

Regards,

Vinod

Like Rajesh Viswanathan likes this
Kristina Radeva
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 17, 2020

Maybe the webhook stopped working somehow? Perhaps you need to recreate it, if the automation rule worked until recently. 

Like Rajesh Viswanathan likes this
Vinod Honnalli September 18, 2020

I tried by creating the rule but still no luck, i am thinking some updates from Jira Cloud end is causing this issue.

Like # people like this
1 vote
Answer accepted
Kristina Radeva
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 17, 2020

Usually when you see in the log "No actions were performed", it means all your rules/actions were set as such that the automation rule ran perfectly, went through all steps and successfully did nothing. I can only help if you specify more :/ 

I only get that when the rule didn't apply well to what you wanted to automate. 

Hi Kristina,

Thank you for replying on this issue.

So, the steps in my automation are as shown in attached image. Only below steps are working

Trigger gets activated

transition to "Escalated" status

sending out email function

Functions not working ;-

updating the custom field "Description of error"

commenting the issue

Automation Error.PNGNote: Sending email function is working irrespective of its position, i e if i place it at the end of rule, email is triggered but 'edit issue field' and 'comment to issue' doesent work .

Regards,

Vinod

Kristina Radeva
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 17, 2020

Might be useful to show an example of the Audit Log as well, so that I can see where this fails to work. So far, the rules you created seem very straight-forward.

Hi Kristina,

Please see the screenshot of the audit log.

Audit logs.PNG

Regards,

Vinod

Kristina Radeva
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 17, 2020

I see the rule is set to Global, not sure if you meant to do that. Perhaps it's best to specify a project for the rule to run in while you debug the problem? 

It seems like the rule just does nothing and closing the scope to a single project might help. 

It is actually restricted to project type = Service Desk from the beginning.

But will try to restrict to one project and test it.

Rule Details.PNG

I tried restricting the rule to one project but still no luck.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events