Automation for project and component creation

Julio Kenji Bando March 12, 2020

Is there any automation for project and component creation?

2 answers

0 votes
Makin Jira March 22, 2020

I am not sure if what I am looking for is similar to what the original post is requesting, but I am also looking for a way to have actions automatically happen after a new project is created.

I am using Jira Cloud and since I cannot upload a project template I am looking to have groups automatically added as a specific role in the project.

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 23, 2020

Hello @Makin Jira

Indeed, you can add default groups that will always be added to the project roles of the new projects you create. These would be the steps to do it:

1 - Logged as a site-admin, navigate to Jira Settings > System > Project roles

2 - Click on manage default members and add all the users/groups you want:

Screen Shot 2020-03-23 at 17.01.20.png

Let us know if that's what you are looking for.

0 votes
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 18, 2020

Hello @Julio Kenji Bando

Thank you for reaching out.

Please, provide us the following information so we can confirm we are on the same page here:

1. -Could you please provide us more details of what exactly you are trying to achieve?

2 - Are you talking about Projects and components of the Jira application? If that's correct, can you let us know if you are using Server or Cloud?

3. -Which would be the trigger to run the automation and create new projects and Components?

Although the details of your goal are not clear to me, I suppose you are trying to bulk create Components and projects in a Jira application, not having to manually create one at time. If that's what you are looking for, I suggest you take a look in Jira REST API documentation below:

Jira Cloud - REST API 

Jira Server 8.7 - REST API 

Using the REST APIs described there, you can properly create a JSON script that can create multiple projects and Components as you need.

Let us know if you have any questions.

Julio Kenji Bando April 14, 2020

Hi Petter,

1. - When I create a component in Jira, I would like to create a repository in Bitbucket automatically since it's how I can relate them. Also, I want to trigger a project creation in Bitbucket when I create a project in Jira.

2. - I am using Jira Cloud.

3. - Yes, the trigger to run automation would be the projects and components creation.

I achieved this building a middleware application that call Bitbucket APIs triggered by Jira Cloud Events(Webhooks).

I just want to know if it is possible to do it easier with an automation.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events