Automation for 'Next unreleased version' sets second version instead of the first one

Artem Usov July 14, 2020

Have 2 version set up for test:

• 'ver1' with earlier date of release
  • 'ver2' with later date of release

jira-versions-example.png

Set up an Automation to add 'Next unreleased version' to tickets after status changed.

jira-auto-example.png

Moved a ticket and Automation added a 'ver2' (30/July/2020 as from screenshot) value into 'Fix version' field instead of 'ver1' which was expected.

I saw a comment that versions for that action picked up by creation date, but I cannot find any way to see creation dates of my versions to confirm that it's the case for me.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Kevin Bui
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 27, 2020

Hi @Artem Usov - The action looks at the order of the versions in the list for the "next unreleased version". So you should be able to reorder the versions to influence which version the action uses.

Hope that helps!

Artem Usov July 30, 2020

@Kevin Bui Hey, thanks. It worked. So for anyone who also will got this 'issue':

Reorder your versions and expect:

• If you have only 1 version - it will be picked
  • If you have for example 2 versions - then second one (the one below) will be picked

That probably my misunderstanding as I understood 'Next unreleased version' as literally 'next' one or 'the first one' in the list of 'Unreleased' but it seems to be 'the next after the first (if there is more than 1)'.

Like Rogerio likes this
Anders Baisgaard September 28, 2020

@Kevin Bui are there any way to use "Next Unreleased Version" through the json and smart value feature?

I'm trying to add the fixversion rather than set it, since that clears any existing value in fixVersion field.

Thanks

Mark Studer February 16, 2021

@Kevin Bui - It doesn't seem to function that way on my Jira instance.  I have 4 versions and it always gets set to the last of the 4 versions.  It appears to always just pick the last item in the list regardless of the number of items..  Generally you would sort your items from top to bottom and expect it to grab the top item.  I think there is still a bug and because it instead grabs the bottom item.

Like # people like this
Fredrik Folkeryd November 10, 2021

I see the same behavior, but it may be "as designed" in a sense; it seems intuitive that the "older" the release the farther down the list it would be, right?

1 = to be released soon

2 = recently released

3 = released longer ago

4 = ... (archived)

By that logic, something to be released *less* soon would naturally be _higher_ in the list. From that point of view "the next release to be released" would actually be the bottom-most one in the range of unreleased releases.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events