Automation for Jira: related issues condition does not work with cross-project links

Alessandro Tondo February 9, 2018

I'm sorry for the many questions in these days but I may have found an unintended behavior of your Related issues condition.

I was investigating on why it was always executing an automation task even if I had programmed it to stop if there were issues of a specific type set up, and I discovered that this block always add a JQL condition to search for issue in the current project.

This may be usually correct, but if you add cross-project issue links it always filter them and you can't check for them.

I add two screens to show you better:

2018020915_01_56.png

And if I inspect the JQL query I found:

2018020915_02_40.png

where of course the project 10406 is the current one (and I'd like to search for issue links which point to another one).

I've also tried to use only the issue link presence, with the Are not present condition, but if the issue lays in another project it filters it out. Maybe a hidden condition of the project is added.

Any suggestions?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nick Menere
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 11, 2018

Hi Alesandro,

In order to act on/check issues on other projects you need to make the rule a global rule. Otherwise this can result in permission escalation or information leakage. Are you able to convert this tule to a Global rule (Select "Global" in the project field in the rule details).

Does this work?

We are looking at introducing multi-project rules soon and this would be another option to get this to work.

Cheers,

Nick

Alessandro Tondo February 12, 2018

Yes, it works! Thank you very much Nick.

I just need to add a condition rule to filter out triggers from other projects, but it's fine.

Gregory McShea March 26, 2021

@Nick Menere , is there any update on adding multi project automation rules since it is now > 3 years after you said it would be coming "soon". This limitation is so crippling for many things I would like to do and I do not have privileges to make automation rules global.

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events