Automation for Jira in Next Gen

David Friedman March 11, 2019

We are building a new project in next gen. We would like to use Automation for Jira. We have created a rule and assigned it to the project. However, the rule is not visible from the issue.

Does Automation for Jira work with next gen? If so, how do we get the rule to be available?

Thanks.

5 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
John McKiernan
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
March 12, 2019

Hey David,

John from Automation for Jira here.

Yes, unfortunately, NextGen have broken a number of APIs that Automation for Jira (and other apps) depend on. Atlassian are currently fixing some of these problems.

In the meantime, we do support some aspects of NextGen projects, and we will support them fully once those API issues are fixed up (hopefully soon!)

Thanks for your patience.

Cheers,

John

David Friedman March 13, 2019

Thanks, John. We are going forward with our build in Classic (using Automation for Jira). We'll try again in Next Gen after it gets a bit more robust.

Like John McKiernan likes this
Ev April 7, 2019

Hi John, do you know if there are any updates from atlassian on this?

If not, I'm wondering if there is a workaround. Our current requirements are pretty simple - when a card is moved into the 'Done' swim lane we want to fire off an email.

Cheers

Evan

John McKiernan
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
April 8, 2019

Hey Evan,

unfortunately not. At the moment, until this is fixed, next-gen projects just don't work very well with marketplace apps like Automation for Jira. 

Once it is fixed, I will update this post asap. 

Sorry about that

John

Like Ev likes this
Ev April 8, 2019

Hey John, thanks for the update. A bit frustrating, but there isn't much we can do at this point!

Cheers

Evan

Jenifer Kuntz June 10, 2019

@John McKiernan1 Are there any updates on this?  Do you have a link to an open Atlassian issue that I could watch for this?

Thanks

Jenifer

John McKiernan
Marketplace Partner
June 10, 2019

Hi Jennifer, 

I'm afraid there are no updates just yet. We are tracking it here and trying to figure a workaround: https://codebarrel.atlassian.net/browse/AUT-1322

Once there is some news, I will post into this community to update all.

Thanks for your patience, I know it is a bit frustrating!

Cheers,

John 

David Wheatley May 18, 2020

Hi John,

Thanks for confirming that this issue is on your radar.

Since the last post on this thread was nearly a year ago, I wondered if you had any further news or an ETA for deployment?

John McKiernan
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 18, 2020

Hi @David Wheatley ,

Thanks for your message. It has indeed been almost a year and you are right next-gen and automation still do not work as well together as we would like. 

To be transparent, I still can't give an exact date yet when it will be ready. I know it's frustrating but at the moment, I can only recommend to work with classic projects (or with next-gen projects - though limited). 

I will update once I have something concrete to report. 

Cheers,

John

Luke Sigler August 27, 2020

This is really frustrating that this still isn't fixed. Nextgen service desk has so much promise and the thought of going back to classic because of this one issue is soul crushing.

Jane Yeoh
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 27, 2020

Hi @Luke Sigler and @David Wheatley

Jane, Product Manager from the Jira Automation team here. Firstly, thank you for your feedback and I can appreciate that it's been slow and frustrating that Automation doesn't work as seamlessly in Nextgen projects yet.

I did just want to shed light on some of the work that the team has been working on fixing in Nextgen to improve the experience. It hasn't been quite as simple as we'd hoped for. As John mentioned earlier in the thread, there were broken APIs that we first had to tackle before even looking at implementing solutions for Automation for Nextgen projects. 

However, the good news is that apart from fixing a few smaller pain points and UI improvements, we have made good headway in two of the biggest issues in Automation in Nextgen:

1. Supporting multiple/duplicate statuses (Done)
2. Supporting multiple/duplicate fields (80% done. Estimated completion: mid-October)

Admittedly progress has been slower than we would have liked and as ever, we thank you for your patience! Please feel free to send me an email at jyeoh@atlassian.com with your specific use-cases and I will try to help you with them as best as I can.

Cheers,

Jane

Like K_ Yamamoto likes this
Shital Khaladkar March 15, 2021

Hi, 

I have created a Next-Gen project today, Project A. I am also working on another project say Project B.

I would like to create a rule, when issue in Project A reaches a particular state, say Awaiting release, an issue is created in Project B. 

When this issue in Project B, is marked as Done, the original issue in Project A, is also set to Done. Is this kind of automation possible? 

Thanks in advance!

Regards,

Shital

Pere April 19, 2021

Hi Shital,

I'm not a member of Atlassian or anything, but if you read the previous stream of messages (Above yours) you'll see messages from Atlassian's Automation for Jira explaining how Automation in Next-Gen projects still isn't as coolio as it should ;)

Nevertheless, I haven't heard of the nature of automation you talk about, not even in Classic project.

Luck with those projects!

Pere

Shital Khaladkar April 20, 2021

Hey, 

Thanks for your reply. 

Luckily, I was able to set up an automation rule, but Global. I am working on two parallel projects. When one issue from Project A is marked as resolved, the related issue from Project B gets set to Done. Setting up the rule at Global level did the trick. 

Regards,

Shital

Hitesh.Kumar May 10, 2021

Hi @John McKiernan @John McKiernan1 , 

any update on this, we are also looking for automation for next-gen projects.Please keep us posted when will this be available. Is there any JIRA open issue that i can vote for?

Regards,
Hitesh Kumar

John McKiernan
Atlassian Team
May 10, 2021

Hey @Hitesh.Kumar

Automation is available and working well with team-managed projects (next-gen projects have been renamed!) 

You should be able to go in and get started any time. 

Let me know if any issues.

Cheers,

John

Hitesh.Kumar May 11, 2021

strange, i was not able to do it. Is there any wiki page i can follow for this. Please help me out. 

Thanks @John McKiernan 

John McKiernan
Atlassian Team
May 11, 2021

Hey Hitesh, 

Yes no problem - these docs should help - https://support.atlassian.com/jira-service-management-cloud/docs/use-automation-rules-for-tasks-in-team-managed-projects/

If there is anything that isn't working as expected, please pop a support request through so we can solve it for you.

Cheers,

John 

Like Hitesh.Kumar likes this
Doods Perea June 7, 2021

Hi @John McKiernan1 - the KBs in the link you provided are for Jira Service Management Projects.  For example, the "Add a preset automation rule in team-managed projects" section starts with:

To add a preset automation rule:

1. From your service project sidebar, go to Service project settings () > Automation.

1 vote
Cheng HUANG April 21, 2020

I just created NextGen, but project automation doesn't work, so i need go back to previous. Just. too bad, loved a lot of this simplify interface.

0 votes
Rob Jahn
Marketplace Partner
April 22, 2020

Yes I too am looking for support on smart values that can be used in automation rules as to showcase/demo the nextgen JIRA.

0 votes
Miquel Ferrer Llompart March 28, 2020

Hi!
Does anybody know if the automation for NextGen will work with Bitbucket?

Seams like only works for regular Jira projects

0 votes
David Friedman March 12, 2019

After further research, it appears that Automation for JIra does not work with Next Gen projects. 

Craig Barrett June 4, 2020

I have just started looking at the Automation webinars and got all excited about integrating this into my Next-Gen projects (I am very new to Jira). Now I find out that Automation does not work for Next-Gen, what a damn shame.

I can't even find the Automation selection under Project Settings (using Cloud version).

Thank you David for raising this.

John McKiernan
Atlassian Team
June 4, 2020

Hi David, Craig,

John from the automation team here. 

I hear you completely and I know it's a frustrating experience. 

Just to be clear, you can indeed use automation with next-gen but it will have some restrictions. We are actively trying to fix these issues and although I can't give an exact date yet as to when they will be fixed, it will be sooner rather than later. 

Cheers,

John

Craig Barrett June 4, 2020

Thank you John, where do I find the Automation setting in a Jira Next-Gen project? Sorry for the embarrassingly simple question. I do not see it under Project Settings......sorry found it and cannot delete this reply.

John McKiernan
Atlassian Team
June 4, 2020

Hey Craig,

it's actually not an embarrassingly simple question unfortunately! It's not as straight forward as it should be. You need to go to your project settings > apps > project automation

[SWTMNG-326] Designs for Automation webinar - Jira 2020-06-05 14-28-09.png

To give some context: Atlassian acquired Automation for Jira in October 2019. We were really keen to get it available natively for as many people as possible as soon as possible. Now we are working on making it much easier to discover, use, etc, including making it flawless with next-gen

We are making big strides so will hopefully not be long. You might find this post useful - it was the 79 most commonly asked questions from that first automation webinar: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Automation-articles/79-Questions-and-Answers-about-Jira-Automation/ba-p/1363930

Hope that helps!

John

Mikaela Bertucci September 22, 2020

Hi John. I tried to access your link but I don't have access. Is this a public confluence page?

https://hello.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/~904647020/pages/698566098/79+Questions+and+Answers+around+Jira+Cloud+s+new+automation+engine

Thanks 

Mikaela 

John McKiernan
Atlassian Team
September 22, 2020

Sorry Mikaela, 

New kid = no sleep = sending you draft confluence pages!

This is the correct link: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Automation-articles/79-Questions-and-Answers-about-Jira-Automation/ba-p/1363930

Cheers,

John 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events