Automation for Jira - Subtasks link sibling tasks

leslie_rois-burrows January 17, 2022

Hello, 

We have stories set up to automatically create subtasks for our process and this has worked great. However, I am trying to set up automation so when these are set up, they automatically link all subtasks within that story, so it is easy to move around whichever subtask you're in. 

Screenshot 2022-01-17 at 17.28.12.png

Happy to add to this existing workflow or create a new one. I have been trying to set it up with a new one, but get stuck at the linking issues as there is no option to link with sibling tasks 

Screenshot 2022-01-17 at 17.32.39.png

2 answers

1 vote
Callum Carlile _Automation Consultants_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 17, 2022

Hi @leslie_rois-burrows 

What you can do is add a branch under each of these sub-task creation actions, acting on all Sub-tasks. You can then select the Link Issues action under the branch and select your link type and 'most recently created issue'. This will link all existing sub-tasks to the previous sub-task that's just been created.

This will successfully link all subtasks to one another. You might also want to add in an advanced compare condition under each branch, stating that {{key}} must not equal {{createdIssue.key}} before the link action, which ignores the most recently created issue, as otherwise it will show some errors as it's trying to link a task to itself (the rule will run fine still, but the error notifications might become a nuisance!)

linking subtasks.png

Let me know if you run into any issues, hope this helps!

Jürgen Heckmann April 8, 2022

Hi @Callum Carlile _Automation Consultants_ ,

Thank you very much for your solution. I was looking for a similar solution. 

I implemented your approach and as a result I get links between the subtasks but not only like: 

ST1-->ST2-->ST3-->ST4

But:

ST1-->ST2, ST3, ST4

ST2-->ST3, ST4

ST3-->ST4

Is there a way to change either the branching or the if-condition so that it might work?

I already tried some things but they dont lead to the solution I'm looking for.

Best regards,

Jürgen

1 vote
Pramodh M
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 17, 2022

Hi @leslie_rois-burrows 

As much as I appreciate Linking issues, there should be some meaningful use case when we use that feature. Just for navigation if we are using linking feature this is not duable

Link all sub-tasks within the Story, this idea is crazy, there is no need to do this.

Just use Story Issue as the reference and you will have all its sub-tasks under the Story.

The First Automation Image itself is enough to track the child issues with Story as a parent.

Thanks,
Pramodh 

Jürgen Heckmann April 8, 2022

Hi @Callum Carlile _Automation Consultants_ ,

Thank you very much for your solution. I was looking for a similar solution. 

I implemented your approach and as a result I get links between the subtasks but not only like: 

ST1-->ST2-->ST3-->ST4

But:

ST1-->ST2, ST3, ST4

ST2-->ST3, ST4

ST3-->ST4

Is there a way to change either the branching or the if-condition so that it might work?

I already tried some things but they dont lead to the solution I'm looking for.

Best regards,

Jürgen

David Ciran January 12, 2024

Hi @leslie_rois-burrows,

As @Pramodh M already pointed out, linking issues just for navigational purposes is not the best practice.

Therefore, if you are fine with a marketplace app, we have created Subtasks Navigation app to view your sibling issues and their description without loading the entire parent nor using the filter. This might be a good addition to your toolkit as it allows you to easily move around the sibling subtasks of a certain story with a new panel called Other Subtasks (view the picture below)

Disclaimer : I am part of the team which developed this app

Subtasks Navigation for Jira

Description of all siblings screenshot.png

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events