• Give kudos
  • Received
  • Given

Leaderboard

• Global

Trophy case

Kudos (beta program)

Kudos logo

You've been invited into the Kudos (beta program) private group. Chat with others in the program, or give feedback to Atlassian.

View group

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Automation for Jira: Reference a created Version

Hello,

I have created a rule that allows my team to transition tasks and issues from staging into production and it will create a version with an auto generated date.  How do I reference that data to then have it put into the tasks fixVersion? 

The system doesn't know the version because it hasn't been created yet.  So I can't select it and have the automation just drop it in.  I tried a couple ways but nothing appears to work.  

If I tell the system to just go to the next release, it picks the wrong release (I have multiple releases going on at a time hence the date). 

I was hoping to use When: version created but I don't know how to get it to take that version created and use that value and add it to the fixVersion field. 

I was thinking about using another issue transitioned but then I couldn't get any components to work. 

Thank you in advance for any help! 

3 answers

0 votes

Hey there Justin,

If you have a create version action, you can access your created version https://docs.automationforjira.com/reference/actions.html#create-version in subsequent rules using the version smart value https://docs.automationforjira.com/reference/smart-values.html#version

Hope that helps!

Cheers,

Mark C

Hi Mark - Did you read the entire question? Seems like maybe not. 

I'm having this same conundrum. I tried doing a Version Created trigger that creates an issue, then setting the fixversion of that issue to be copied from the trigger issue. Seems like it should work but it doesn't. Maybe automation doesn't consider versions an "issue", therefore the trigger is invalid?

@Justin Koch did you ever figure out a solution? 

Unfortunately No, and my company is changing over from the cloud version to on prem.  So, I left the tool in the current state until that transition happens. 

¿No les sirvió? {{issue.fixVersions.name}}

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Marketplace Apps & Integrations

Do Not Lose your Customer’s Trust

Missing deadlines is one of the biggest problems every team lead wants to avoid when dealing with managed services. When the customer contracts your company to help with IT services it is expected th...

327 views 0 2
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you