Automation for Jira: Reference a created Version

Justin Koch January 16, 2020

Hello,

I have created a rule that allows my team to transition tasks and issues from staging into production and it will create a version with an auto generated date.  How do I reference that data to then have it put into the tasks fixVersion? 

The system doesn't know the version because it hasn't been created yet.  So I can't select it and have the automation just drop it in.  I tried a couple ways but nothing appears to work.  

If I tell the system to just go to the next release, it picks the wrong release (I have multiple releases going on at a time hence the date). 

I was hoping to use When: version created but I don't know how to get it to take that version created and use that value and add it to the fixVersion field. 

I was thinking about using another issue transitioned but then I couldn't get any components to work. 

Thank you in advance for any help! 

5 answers

0 votes
Wilmer Colon February 3, 2022

Using the solution above, I had to set the fix version field to just {{version}} instead of {{version.name}}.

0 votes
Florian Otti March 29, 2021

For anyone who's come across this: 

The suggestion from @Mark Chaimungkalanont does work, although the links don't point to the exact correct locations.

The Smart Value to be used here is {{version.name}} (no "issue" whatsoever), where the version from the "Created Version" trigger is taken, but it can also use the value from a "Create Version"-Action from the same automation rule. 

So you can create a version, and then in a following "Create Issue" action (in the same rule) just write {{version.name}} into the fixVersion field and it works.

Nofar Ben Kereth June 3, 2021

Hey Florian, 

I tried this solution with no success. What am I missing?

My rule goes like that: 

Trigger: A transition being made

Action: A version is created

For JQL (filtering specific issues):

Edit: Fix Version with the smartvalue: {{version.name}}. It does nothing to the issues in the JQL

Thanks,

Nofar

Florian Otti June 3, 2021

@Nofar Ben Kereth 

I'm sorry to hear that it doesn't work for you. I just tried what you did and it works. I'm on Jira Cloud, not sure if that has anything to do with it. 

For me it looks like in the attached screenshot and worked that way. In the issue PT-3 the fix version was set to the newly created one.

Capturecccc.PNG

Nofar Ben Kereth June 6, 2021

It worked eventually, I guess I was missing something there before.

Thanks!

0 votes
Virginia Pino September 22, 2020

¿No les sirvió? {{issue.fixVersions.name}}

0 votes
Joe_Hardin April 1, 2020

@Justin Koch did you ever figure out a solution? 

Justin Koch April 2, 2020

Unfortunately No, and my company is changing over from the cloud version to on prem.  So, I left the tool in the current state until that transition happens. 

0 votes
Mark Chaimungkalanont
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 19, 2020

Hey there Justin,

If you have a create version action, you can access your created version https://docs.automationforjira.com/reference/actions.html#create-version in subsequent rules using the version smart value https://docs.automationforjira.com/reference/smart-values.html#version

Hope that helps!

Cheers,

Mark C

Joe_Hardin April 1, 2020

Hi Mark - Did you read the entire question? Seems like maybe not. 

I'm having this same conundrum. I tried doing a Version Created trigger that creates an issue, then setting the fixversion of that issue to be copied from the trigger issue. Seems like it should work but it doesn't. Maybe automation doesn't consider versions an "issue", therefore the trigger is invalid?

Like Eugenia Matushchenko likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events