Next:
badges earned

Your Points Tracker
Challenges
Leaderboard
  • Global
  • Feed

Badge for your thoughts?

You're enrolled in our new beta rewards program. Join our group to get the inside scoop and share your feedback.

Join group
Recognition
Give the gift of kudos
You have 0 kudos available to give
Who do you want to recognize?
Why do you want to recognize them?
Kudos
Great job appreciating your peers!
Check back soon to give more kudos.

Past Kudos Given
No kudos given
You haven't given any kudos yet. Share the love above and you'll see it here.

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Automation for Jira - Automation creating hundreds of issues for rule expected to create only three

I have a rule created where once a week three tickets are created and assigned to three resources. 

When the rule ran, it created 593 total identical issues across the three resources. I see no errors in the audit aside from the fact it created 590 issues too many.

I tested the automation out with two test email accounts and worked fine, then when it was turned on for the three resources needed, it did this. 

I have seen this occur before with similar rules designed to create sets of issues where it will sometimes run okay but other times create hundreds and thousands of the same issue on one run.

Trying to get any insight as to why the plugin does this and any potential fixes, 

Thank you, Automation for Jira Error.jpg

1 answer

0 votes
Dirk Ronsmans Community Leader Mar 02, 2021

Hey @Marc Porto _US - ADVS_ ,

when looking at your rule it seems you enabled the search a JQL. This will do the actions defined underneath for each issue that the JQL returns.

image.png

In your case that would then be for every issue in you project "TICKET"

If you also have the "this rule can be triggered by another rule" enabled this will just go in to an infinite loop. Right now it only stopped cause you reached the thresholds.

@Dirk Ronsmans 

Yeah I have the JQL only because it does not allow me to leave it empty. I don't have the box and checkmark. I have always found this odd and unsure why that is. 

Any thoughts? Automation for Jira Error 2.jpg

Hmm must be a small difference between cloud and server then.

I assume you are on DC or Server? (my screenshot was from Cloud)

I can see there is a radio button (or there should be one in front of) 

"Simply run the conditions and actions without providing issues" that seems like the same as "not providing a JQL" , do you currently have the first line active (run a jql...)?

@Dirk Ronsmans 

Yes sir, on DC. Always wondered why there isn't an option to enable or disable JQL at the trigger. Hmmm, wonder if there would be some way to get around that then. That seems to be the root cause just unsure how to avoid it now.

Thought for you: If the jql was specific enough to say project = XYZ and issuetype = TICKET and summary ~ "Client Meetings*" and status = Closed and assignee in (1, 2, 3)

would it limit what it is creating it to?

@Dirk Ronsmans 

You're right. There isn't a radio button but if I just click the text the JQL section disappears. I appreciate that. Never thought to click it since it had no radio button or expand arrowhead. 

I will try this and see. I truly appreciate it! Here's to hoping. 

I was just giving you some more screenshots :)

Must be a visible bug then, cause normally there are 2 radio buttons in front of it!

Let me know how it works out!

@Dirk Ronsmans 

No, it throttled out entirely now that i swapped that out and gives the throttling error for allowed time:

This rule execution exceeded allowed service limits for Automation for Jira.View performance insights

Automation for Jira has exceeded the allowed total processing time for this rule. Maximum allowed processing time over 12 hours is (in seconds):3600

When you go to allowed service limits it talks about narrowing down the JQL to prevent throttling so wondering if for DC they make to to where you have to have a JQL and it's about finding the right query to keep it low. This is stumping me to no end. 

That just doesn't make sense at all.

You can disable the JQL but then it still keeps going.. (and thus forcing you to pick a strict JQL?)

i'd suggest you open a ticket for this with support: https://support.atlassian.com/contact as it is now managed by Atlassian. 

Since you don't even see the radio button I'm wondering if there is something more that is "wrong" or broken with your automation plugin.

@Dirk Ronsmans 

Let me ask a related question; different automation JSON related.

Trying to copy over one set of date fields to another when updates are done to it. The source date field doesn't show up in the list so have to use Advanced and JSON. 

The JSON script I am using keeps erroring out saying: Error while parsing additional fields. Not valid JSON.

The JSON I am using is:

{
"fields": {
"customfield_12105": {{issue.customfield_10035}}
}
}

Basically, I need customfield_12105 to be updated when there are changes to customfield_10035.

Not sure why it says it cannot parse additional fields. JSON Error.jpg

My first guess would be that the smartvalue isn't being parsed correctly or the content breaks the JSON. What would the content be of that customfield that you are using as value?

Also, is there a reason why you are using the json for that? Can't you just use the 

"edit issue" action and there choose your destination field to set? In the value there you should be able to use your smartvalue.

@Dirk Ronsmans 

So, the field I need to populate is Target start / Target end which are part of Atlassian's Advanced Roadmaps (Plans / Portfolio). Those two fields do not show up in the list forcing me to JSON. However, I am assuming that since it is a LOCKED field, it is breaking the JSON but is just an assumption. 

If I could just select the field from the options, that would be great but because it is not I resorted to JSON. However JSON keeps erroring and can only attribute it to the fact that it is a locked field as a result of being tied to Advanced Roadmaps and not acting like a standard custom field. Wondering if that theory makes sense or am off. 

I would think that it would throw an error like "no permission" since it's locked.

The fact that the JSON just error's means that the content just isn't correct. I don't have access to an install with advanced roadmaps installed but I'll see if I can't do a a similar thing with a JSON

@Dirk Ronsmans 

I would greatly appreciate that. These two are making me think I am crazy somehow. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Marketplace Apps & Integrations

New Cloud Apps Roundup - April 2021

Atlassian's marketplace partners have had a very productive start to 2021! Since our last roundup, our developer community has added over 160 new cloud apps to the Atlassian Marketplace to help you...

307 views 3 20
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you