Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Automation - auto create sub-tasks based on status

Hello, I want a new sub-task to generate when I close the previous one. That way I won't have 3-4 pending tasks at once. How do I trigger that?

2 answers

1 vote
Daniel Ebers Community Leader Sep 11, 2021

Hi @Miroslava Hristova

remembering a similar requirement I feel it could make sense to have a look at the following rule - with a bit of adaption which could be necessary it could work for your case:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Software-questions/How-to-trigger-creation-of-a-subtask-when-all-other-custom/qaq-p/1740445

Please test it if it is useful and let us know if you were able to implement it.

Regards,
Daniel

You can achieve this using Automation rule. You need to add Trigger -issue transition. When an issue is transitioned to Closed/Resolved. Then add condition and  new action - Create new sub-task 

1. Add Trigger - Issue transitioned.

2. Add condition -  If issue type - sub-task

3. Add action -Create new Sub-task

Thank you for the reply!

If I do the Add Trigger in the beginning, I cannot use it again to trigger the next sub-task to be created once the previous is closed. Do I need more conditions in between the sub-tasks to achieve that?

Hi @Miroslava Hristova  Welcome to Atlassian Community!

Select Trigger >> Issue Transitioned 

Add JQL Condition >> issuetype = sub-task AND status = Closed

Action >> Create sub-tasks ( here you can create multiple Subtasks)

https://www.atlassian.com/agile/tutorials/how-to-auto-create-subtasks-with-jira-software-automation

Check Automation Library :- https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/automation-template-library/rules#/

Hope it works for you!

Thanks

V.Y

Like Manisha Bhardwaj likes this

Hi all, this still doesn't do it for me. With Manisha's suggestion it created one sub-task but when I close it the others don't appear. With Vikrant's suggestion no sub-tasks were created. What I need is when I close one sub-task the next one to be created.

Hi @Bill Sheboy  Kindly help us in setting up Automation Rule. As you are the expert in Automation.

Hi @Miroslava Hristova 

To help you diagnose this, please post:

• an image of your complete rule,
  • an image of the audit log showing an execution that did not work, and
  • describe the symptoms you are observing.

Those will provide context for the community to offer ideas.  Thanks!

Kind regards,
Bill

Like Manisha Bhardwaj likes this

Hello @Bill Sheboy - This is what I observed with the second suggestion - no sub-tasks are created.

Screenshot 2021-09-08 at 14.40.34.png

Screenshot 2021-09-08 at 14.42.09.png

Thank you for that information.  In your audit log, please select the "Show more" link for one of those executions which did not work, and post an image of those details.  That may reveal where the processing stopped.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Apps & Integrations

Marketplace Partner Spotlight: Fine Software

Happy New Year, everybody! What better way to kick off 2022 than with a new Marketplace Partner Spotlight ✨ This month, we're getting to know Daniel Franz, co-founder of Fine Software. Fine Software ...

423 views 2 15
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you