Automation - Subtasks won't pick up Parent information (Next Gen Cloud)

Jess H. April 24, 2020

Context: We're using subtasks for "bugs" when a Story didn't meet its acceptance criteria and I want to be able to move the parent story from "In QA" to "To-Do" when a new subtask is created, and I want that subtask to take info like assignee from the parent.

I feel like I've tried this a million and one ways. Everything I do fails because "There's no parent." I wrote a simple bit of JQL it has to pass to verify that the parent field is not empty. It passes that, then still thinks there's no associated parent to pull data from.

Any help appreciated.Screenshot (90).png

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 28, 2020

Hi Jess,

Unfortunately this is a known behavior with Automation and Next Gen projects. Our development team is aware of the problem and will be addressing it soon. You can follow along with the progress here: AUT-1297 

Cheers,
Daniel | Atlassian Team

Jess H. April 28, 2020

There doesn't appear to be a way for me to mark myself as a watcher on that ticket =\

But thanks Daniel! I'm going to be doing a lot of automating for my next gen cloud project, so I'm sure you'll see me pop up again.

onur July 29, 2020

Hi @Daniel Eads ,

I've just check the AUT-1297 it seems to be fixed but I'm still facing exactly the same issue. 

Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 5, 2020

Hi @onur - I'd recommend opening a case with our support team at support.atlassian.com/contact so we can take a look at the logs for your site and see if something's amiss. Please include the name of the rule you're seeing this issue on when creating the support case. Thanks!

0 votes
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 24, 2020

Hi @Jess H.,

Welcome to Atlassian Community.

Have you tried using an Edit issue action and set the assignee to copy from parent?

Screen Shot 2020-04-24 at 1.38.33 PM.png 

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 24, 2020

Also, have you tried checking the issue type is set to sub task by using the Issue field condition instead of using the JQL?

Jess H. April 24, 2020

Hey thanks Mikael, I've tried both of those to no avail. It's saying its successful, but not grabbing the parent assignee in either case:

Screenshot (91).pngScreenshot (92).pngScreenshot (93).png

Jess H. April 24, 2020

Just to be triple sure, I checked the parent and it does have an assignee ;)

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 24, 2020

Odd, I just created the same rule on my end and it successfully copied the assignee. If you look at the history (click the down arrow next to Comments under Activity) for the sub task, do you see an entry where Automation sets the assignee? 

Jess H. April 24, 2020

Does it matter that I'm in Jira Cloud? Here's the history log.

Screenshot (94).png

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 24, 2020

Okay, that looks a bit different than mine, I'm on Cloud too.

Screen Shot 2020-04-24 at 3.27.51 PM.png

Okay, so I think it is because you are using a next-gen project, I just tested it and get the changed the Parent instead of the updated the Parent entry in the history, and the automation rule is not copying the Assignee. Let me get someone from Atlassian to take a look at it.

Jess H. April 24, 2020

NAT-FTC-CRYING77-(Read-Only)_resources1_16a3106e048_medium.jpg

Like # people like this
GoodWhale Admin October 14, 2020

Hi,

@Mikael Sandberg @Daniel Eads 

Though the issue was resolved. It seems like the problem continues to persist. Is there another possible reason for the "Copy from Parent" not working?

Automation:

- Trigger: Creation of Issue

- Condition: Created Issue equal Subtasks

- Action: Copy Label From Parent

Test:

- Click "+" to add subtask in a Parent Issue. (This is where I think the problem is as Subtasks created via this method might have the Parent added only after it is created?)

Screenshot 2020-10-15 at 9.38.52 AM.png

Outcome:

Success -> Audit Log -> "Can't find issue to copy from labels"

Screenshot 2020-10-15 at 9.35.21 AM.png

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events