Automation Structure manual reorder to stick, how do I eliminate sort order conflicts

farrah_romeo January 28, 2020

I have a structure built with automation. I have manual sort on. I cannot rank/move issues at will. It wont let me make some moves and as i try to move it refreshes and re-ranks. I have multiple boards in this project and my selected issues link to multiple parent/children in other projects. I removed the extenders just to work with one level, but still have the problem. It seems there are some issues that pose a sort conflict blocking me from accomplishing my preferred order. Can I accomplish an independent view of ranking in structure that wont change? Id rather have structure drive the board rank or not have a connection. Or can I tell my boards to sort by the structure order?

It seems alternatives are a static structure. But then I don't see updates, such as newly linked issues. Maybe I need to settle for viewing only one level in a static structure and query to find new issue snot in structure.

Or I use a numeric field custom filed and type in a number for each issue and sort. This seems to be the go to option that I've seen, ugh.

2 answers

0 votes
Daria_Baltiyskaya_ALM_Works_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 31, 2020

Hello Farrah,

Thank you for the details. Generally, to be able to re-order issues in the hierarchy, you can use *Sort* automation called *Manual reordering*. Could you please give it a try in the structures where you were not able to move issues and let me know if it doesn't help?

By the way, if it's more convenient for you, you can contact our support team directly at support@almworks.com

Daria

farrah_romeo January 31, 2020

Thank you for that suggestion, I did find that idea in a post in the community and tried it, but it didn't seem to make any difference. I will try it on my second structure to see if it helps. 

It seems as if the general function is working because I can move some rows, but then some rows cause a reorder when moved.

Is it best to email the support team now?

Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 3, 2020

Hello Farrah,

To understand why manual sorter doesn't work in your case, I'd like to have a look at the generators settings in these structures.

You can either post the screenshots with these settings here or write to our support at support@almworks.com - whatever is more convenient for you. The thing to keep in mind is that community posts are visible to everyone so if communicating here is more convenient for you, just make sure your screenshots don't contain any sensitive data.

Daria

0 votes
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 30, 2020

Hello Romeo,

This is Daria from Structure support team. Could you please share a screenshot of your current generators settings and describe in a few words what kind of setup you wish to achieve? It will help me better understand why manual sorting doesn't work and suggest the best solution.

Daria

farrah_romeo January 30, 2020

I have two structures that wont allow me to manual sort all rows and the position wont stick. For the fist one - I want to rank order the rows manually. I am not inputting any numeric filed ranking to sort on.  Once I have this ordered, if a new issue were to show up on the list, I'd want some way to distinguish it. As I try to order these, some rows will move ok,  then as I move other rows alot of the rows will all reorder, undoing previous ordering. I may be able to order rows 1-20 and then at row 21 it all reorders. These Issues are mostly in a status, not the backlog, so relating board rank order to this view doesn't really work well. I'd like this structure view to be independent of the board rank order. I have created a static structure as of now as a solution. 

jira screenshot.png

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events