Automation: Create a version in another project

Bodavo August 6, 2020

Hi!

Is it possible that a version is created in Project B, when a new version is created in Project A. The version should have the same name, etc in both projects. I'm using two classic projects and have not found the appropriate actions in the Automator.

Thank you!

2 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 8, 2020

Hi @Bodavo 

You can sort of do this.

The issue is automation rules mainly run based on issue triggers - or, against issue actions. Rules which are project release-based aren't the norm.

So I created this rule:

1. Trigger: Version Created - In "More Options", I entered a unique identifier into the "Version name filter"
  2. Action: Create Version - in "Version name" I put "{{version.name}}". Then via "More Options", for "Version Release Date" I put "{{version.releaseDate}}", and I chose a target Project

I could not locate a way to base the Trigger on a specific project - so the unique identifier lets the rule know which versions trigger the rule, and which do not.

There also doesn't appear to be an option to set Version Start Date on the action - just name and release date.

Furthermore, I found this only worked as a global rule. I assume this is because if you place it in the trigger project's rules, it can't create in the target project - likewise if it's in the target project, the rule is only checking it for version creation, not all others.

It's a workaround but it is an option - if you can ensure these versions have a unique identifier not used elsewhere on your instance.

Ste

Bodavo August 10, 2020

Thanks for your detailed explanation!

eilon_elphi August 20, 2023

@Stephen Wright _Elabor8_ 

I'm getting this error, any thoughts?

The rule has been configured with components that require issues to be provided by the trigger. To run these components you must add a branch for this version or JQL. The following components require issues: Issue condition

Screenshot 2023-08-20 at 19.28.26.png

Kelly Arrey
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 22, 2023

Hi @eilon_elphi

You might want to have a look at my comment from June 15, 2023 in this thread.

HTH, 

Kel

1 vote
Anthony Allen April 5, 2021

Create rule at the Global level. This will confirm only the desired projects will trigger the rule. Works great.

trigger.PNG

Surizaday Morones April 26, 2021

Hi Anthony, i can't make it. You can helpme?

Kelly Arrey
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 27, 2022

@Stephen Wright _Elabor8_ @Anthony Allen should these examples work on Cloud? Thanks!

Update: I can confirm that this is doable on Cloud!

Anthony Allen January 27, 2022

@Kelly Arrey I would think so but cannot say for sure, as we are on Server.

Like Kelly Arrey likes this
Anthony Allen January 27, 2022

@Surizaday Morones Apologies just seeing this. If you can tell me what you're experience and/or what your audit log says, I might be able to.

Joel Batac June 9, 2023

Thanks for this. Is there a way to sync the versions as well.. let's say I released the version in Project A, the same version on Project B should be changed to released as well?

Anthony Allen June 12, 2023

@Joel Batac Yes there is a "When: Version released" and "Then: Release version" but for Then you might need to make sure the releases in both projects are lined up as it will just release whichever one is next, looks like maybe you can't act against the name of the release that triggered the rule. It does mention using smart fields so perhaps that would leverage release name to transition the right one.

Kelly Arrey
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 15, 2023

Hi @Anthony Allen, Hi @Joel Batac, you can specify the version.name you want to release. Here's a screenshot from my rule: 2023-06-15_10h00_33.png

HTH,

Kel

Anthony Allen June 15, 2023

@Kelly Arrey  Ooh so that satisfies the ask to release something with the same exact name in a different project? I release A in one project, so A in another is released, not B?

Kelly Arrey
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 15, 2023

Yes. I should have mentioned that we're on Cloud. Not sure if it's the same on Server/DC.

Jim Caldarise July 17, 2023

This is an awesome thread! Has anyone figured out a way to update versions across projects? @[deleted] 's solution to creating versions from April '21 is super helpful, but what if the date for that version needs to be changed? I see triggers for version created/released/unreleased/updated, but I don't see any action modules for "update version" - just create/release/unrelease. We use one central project to govern releases in related projects, so ideally I'd like to trigger off of "version updated" in the central project and sync the dates on that release in the other projects.

Like # people like this
Anthony Allen July 18, 2023

I am not aware of a way to automatically update across projects. Could trigger an email that tells you it's changed and you need to go update it, which helps a little.

Like Kelly Arrey likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events