Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

Automation: Create a version in another project

Hi!

Is it possible that a version is created in Project B, when a new version is created in Project A. The version should have the same name, etc in both projects. I'm using two classic projects and have not found the appropriate actions in the Automator.

Thank you!

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted

Hi @Bodavo 

You can sort of do this.

The issue is automation rules mainly run based on issue triggers - or, against issue actions. Rules which are project release-based aren't the norm.

So I created this rule:

1. Trigger: Version Created - In "More Options", I entered a unique identifier into the "Version name filter"
  2. Action: Create Version - in "Version name" I put "{{version.name}}". Then via "More Options", for "Version Release Date" I put "{{version.releaseDate}}", and I chose a target Project

I could not locate a way to base the Trigger on a specific project - so the unique identifier lets the rule know which versions trigger the rule, and which do not.

There also doesn't appear to be an option to set Version Start Date on the action - just name and release date.

Furthermore, I found this only worked as a global rule. I assume this is because if you place it in the trigger project's rules, it can't create in the target project - likewise if it's in the target project, the rule is only checking it for version creation, not all others.

It's a workaround but it is an option - if you can ensure these versions have a unique identifier not used elsewhere on your instance.

Ste

Thanks for your detailed explanation!

Create rule at the Global level. This will confirm only the desired projects will trigger the rule. Works great.

trigger.PNG

Hi Anthony, i can't make it. You can helpme?

@Stephen Wright _Elabor8_ @Anthony Allen should these examples work on Cloud? Thanks!

@Kelly Arrey I would think so but cannot say for sure, as we are on Server.

Like Kelly Arrey likes this

@Surizaday Morones Apologies just seeing this. If you can tell me what you're experience and/or what your audit log says, I might be able to.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Apps & Integrations

Apps for Confluence you won't want to miss: RSVP for September's Appy Hours

Calling all collaborators and Confluence users! Our Appy Hours event on September 29th features 4 presenters demoing functionality to superpower Confluence. Don't miss learning about these apps i...

112 views 0 9
Read article

Atlassian Community Events