Next:
badges earned

Your Points Tracker
Challenges
Leaderboard
  • Global
  • Feed

Badge for your thoughts?

You're enrolled in our new beta rewards program. Join our group to get the inside scoop and share your feedback.

Join group
Recognition
Give the gift of kudos
You have 0 kudos available to give
Who do you want to recognize?
Why do you want to recognize them?
Kudos
Great job appreciating your peers!
Check back soon to give more kudos.

Past Kudos Given
No kudos given
You haven't given any kudos yet. Share the love above and you'll see it here.

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Automation: Applicable Conditions Failing Edited

As part of on automation rule using subtask closure as a trigger, a condition exists related to parent issue type. For instance, if the subtask is of a Quality Control type and the parent is of a User Setup type, then the actions should fire. I have seen several instances of this logic breaking for reasons I'm unable to determine, to the point where seemingly identical situations will have different results. 

Specifics of the rule:

JiraQCAutomationRule.png

I have validated the JQL and confirmed that the parent of a subtask is included, but see that the audit log claims the condition was not met. I confirm that the parent issues have never changed issue type. The rule appears to fail in this manner more often than it succeeds, but it does do both. Has anyone experienced anything similar

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted

Hi Matt,

I would recommend the following changes:

automation.png

Change the issue types to the ones you need.

Thank you Fabian, this solved my problem! Placing the issue type check inside the related issues block has worked in each case I have tested!

Like John Funk likes this
0 votes
Mykenna Cepek Community Leader May 11, 2021

Maybe you've done this already, but the first thing I would do is litter your rule with "Audit Log" actions, in order to validate the issues and fields as the rule progresses during each execution. For example:

• Between the Trigger and the Conditional, log the (trigger) issue key and type, as well as the parent issue key and type.
  • Immediately after the Conditional, log that the conditional succeeded: "Got here"
  • Before the transition, log the issue key and intended action: "Transitioning {{issue.key}} to W4A"
  • After the transition, log that you got past the Transition

Then set up for a test and run the rule. Does the output in the Audit Log exactly match your expectations? Sometimes you'll see things you don't expect, and can then fix your rule.

Otherwise, if the problem persists, you have a lot of info for Atlassian Support to report a bug. Be sure to grant them access to your instance, and provide clear steps for them to reproduce in your instance (how to set up for the test, the rule name to run, to look in the Audit Log to verify issue fields as the rule executes, and what you expect to happen).

Thank you Mykenna, I'll try implementing a few of those log actions and see what they reveal. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Marketplace Apps & Integrations

New cloud apps roundup - June 2021

Since our last roundup in April, Atlassian's Marketplace Partners have added over 100 new cloud apps to the Atlassian Marketplace to help your teams work more efficiently. Let’s take a quick look a...

490 views 6 12
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you