Automatically set statuses of issues with a linked type of duplicate to always match

Lexi March 2, 2021

I am trying to find a solution for an issue we have. 

Our issue: 

We often get duplicate Bugs filed. We choose a primary bug to track the actual work against and to date, we have been closing out the duplicates as "resolved - duplicate" immediately when they are identified as a duplicate. We don't like this solution because it gives a false impression that the issue reported in the bug is resolved, when in reality, its not resolved until the issue it duplicated is resolved and without a little bit of digging through JIRA links, that is not readily apparent. Here is a small example that can help better explain what I am hoping someone has a solution for: 

Issue BUG-1 is filed on Monday 

Issue BUG-2 is filed on Tuesday 

After reviewing BUG-2, its determined to be a duplicate of BUG-1

We want to have the assignee, status, and resolution of BUG-2 update automatically to match what is set in BUG-1 every time those fields change. 

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Lexi August 2, 2023

we came up with a workaround for the issue since we didnt get a solution here:

- we make the duplicate issues subtasks of the issue where the work will be performed.

this way, the subtask gets closed out when the parent gets closed out and we dont have any bugs marked as "resolved" which are really not yet resolved. the subtask can stay open while the parent is being worked

0 votes
Thibaut Subra _Elements_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 2, 2023

Hello @Lexi 

Your message just went up and I might have a solution. If you're willing using a third-party application, our Copy & Sync app will help you with your problem.

To do this, create a synchronization recipe and choose what you want to synchronize (in your case status, assignee and resolution). Then you determine which issues you want to synchronize.

For instance, you can choose to synchronize issues where the source has a "is duplicated by ->" link.

Capture d’écran 2023-08-03 à 08.35.14.png

This way, once your duplicated issues have been identified, all you have to do is link them to the source with the "duplicates <-" link, and the synchronization will be set.

Don't hesitate to give it a try, it's free under 10 users and we have a 30-Day trial policy.

I'll be glad to help you if needed.

Regards

Thibaut

Lexi September 29, 2023

thank you @Thibaut Subra _Elements_ we may give this a try.

0 votes
mararn1618 _secretbakery.io_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
March 8, 2021

Hey Alexandria, I'm trying to understand the impact of this since from my point of view linking and closing could be just fine.

What are some examples of situations that occured when you had linked & closed a "BUG-2" in the past?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events