Automatically link tickets with the same custom field

Ian Swahn March 17, 2020

We have a custom field that helps us keep track of customer metadata. For tickets that come in from the same customer this will almost always be the same value. I would like to set up an automation such that, when the custom field is edited on Ticket A, then Ticket's B,C,D,etc will automatically be linked to Ticket A. 

This is my first automation attempt, so please forgive me if this is an easy one to figure out. I'm still getting comfortable with what is available.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Ian Swahn March 18, 2020

I was able to get the behavior I was looking for with a JQL Branch an a smart query. Screen Shot 2020-03-18 at 9.20.12 AM.png

0 votes
Parvaneh Zand
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 17, 2020

Hi @Ian Swahn ,

I think it's not possible. You can add an automation and select following action:

Edit Issue -> Linked Issues -> (e.g. Relates to) -> click on select issues ( '+' icon), use filters to select all previous issues. (you need to save previous issues/B,C,D,etc into a Filter.)

But the problem is that it doesn't update your selected issues accordance to filter. I mean now that A is created and located in filter, but the next created issue (for example E) will be linked to B,C,D. Not A!

So this is not possible to link new issues automatically.

link.jpg

Ian Swahn March 18, 2020

Thank you for your answer @Parvaneh Zand ! I was able to figure out a way to achieve this behavior this morning with a JQL Branch. 

Like Parvaneh Zand likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events