Automatically link bug to testcase and view all bugs associated with a test case across all executions.

EdDev_Gilat July 20, 2013

We are evaluating Zephyr for Jira with the 10 user license.

I am trying to understand if there is an integral manner from which reported bugs inside a test execution can be seen from a specific test case.

If I create a bug from inside an execution, I cannot access it though a link, and I cannot see in the bug itself a link back to the test case or execution instance.

Obviosly, I can do that by creating my own links between the test case and the bugs, but I expected the creation of bugs from the execution screen to do that automatically. Quoting the Zephyr documentation: "automatically link bug to testcase and view all bugs associated with a test case across all executions."

What do I miss here?

Thanks,

Ed.

16 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Chris Miller
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 21, 2013

Ed,

Expected behavior is that links are created against the testcase execution when creating works when filing defects from the testcase level.

First, please confirm the following:

In the Plugin Administration, Zephyr for JIRA, General Configation:

1. Verify that the "Enable Issue Link from issues to tests" box is checked.

2. Verify that the "Enable remote link from issues to test executions" is also checked.

If these settings aren't the root cause, please reply with the version of JIRA you are using and the Zephyr For JIRA version.

Kind Regards,

Chris

EdDev_Gilat July 24, 2013

For others who encounter the same issue I had: Currently, when opening a bug from within a step, no automatic links will be created between the bug and the TC/TE. When opening the bug from the Test Execution head, all works well.

Thank you Chris for the great support!

Daniel Kustrin August 20, 2014

we are testing zephyr for jira (latest/latest) and this problem still exists. it is very annoying. will it ever be fixed?

2 votes
Raksha S N October 6, 2015

Hello Everyone,

We from Zephyr Support submitted a feature request for this case. It is submitted under FR-436. Adding a feature request to our system means we acknowledge that it is a feature that does not exist in our system and that it has been added to the pipeline for consideration.  

If anybody would like to know the status of the feature request. Please open a support request by accessing the below link along with this feature request ID. We will check and provide you the latest updates with regards to this feature request.

https://support.getzephyr.com/  (you will need to sign up here and use the option "Submit a Case").

Thanks & Regards,

Zephyr Support

1 vote
Bibek Behera
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 3, 2016

Hello Everyone,

I am glad to inform that, this feature is implemented in our latest release of Zephyr for JIRA 3.2. Please feel free to upgrade to the same and share your feedback.

Best Regards,

Zephyr Support.

Kareem Seddik June 17, 2016

Hello. I am evaluating Zephyr, but unable to see this linking. Can you please provide a link to documentation or tell me how this is supposed to work?

Bibek Behera
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 20, 2016

Hello @Kareem Seddik,

Previously issue linking was provided only for test level defects, now with the latest release it is extended for step level defects as well.
There are two new flags added in "General Configuration" page for step level defects issue linking
- "Link issues to tests on Step Execution Defect mapping"
- "Remote link issues to test executions on Step Execution Defect mapping"
If the flags are enabled then the defects created/linked at step level will have a issue&remote links generated to the test to which the defect is linked.We can Inverse the issue linking of step level defects by enabling the flag "Inverse issue links directionality" and click on "reset"

You can see the linking options described in the documentation.

Best Regards,

Zephyr Support.

PoojaK June 21, 2016

Hello Kareem

We have assisted you with regards to your query of linking defects to the testcase execution on our ticketing system using the following response

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The functionality of the Create New issue besides the defect label is that it allows you to create new issues from inside the execution screen. Since it is a new issue it cannot pre-populate itself. Hence , create new issue basically works as how you normally create any issue in jira. However once you are done filling the information on the create issue page(after clicking on create new issue button) , click create button and the issue will automatically link itself to the execution and the link of the issue will appear in the defect label (see how TU-140 got populated in the defect label after i created it upon clicking on the create new issue button)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kind Regards

Zephyr Support

Terje Møllerhagen February 3, 2017

Hi
I cannot see that the documentation is updated with the new feature ?
There is also a function "Cycle cleanup" that is not documented

1 vote
charles thorn October 13, 2015

+1 for us as well. being able to enter a bug in a test step and have the bug automatically link to the test step would be awesome.

1 vote
Judi Gibson October 7, 2015

As per Stuart and Daniel above: +1 for us too regarding creating a link for defects logged at the test step level. We are evaluating Zephyr at the moment. Having to assign/create the defect twice is very inefficient but we want to keep track of the test step that the defect is related to. Thx!

1 vote
Stuart Corcoran October 2, 2015

As per @Daniel: +1.  I was not aware of this limitation until giving internal training and demo to a team when this occurred.  It doesn't help when trying to convince them to transition to JIRA.  

0 votes
Yasmine BEN ATTIA May 4, 2020

Hello, we have the same issue here, but I am not an admin for Zephyr and I do not have any idea about the configuration.

Could you please confirm that we only need to check:

1. "Enable Issue Link from issues to tests" 
  2. "Enable remote link from issues to test executions" 

Is there other steps to perform?

Bibek Behera
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 4, 2020
Like Yasmine BEN ATTIA likes this
0 votes
Konstantinos December 30, 2015

+1 please try to implement the functionality

0 votes
Dorota Goffin December 30, 2015

+1 for implementing this feature. We have a lot of users complaining about this.

0 votes
Michele Adams November 19, 2015

+1 for this.  We are currently evaluating Zephyr for JIRA and this may be a deal breaker.

0 votes

+1 for this. This would take our dev process to the next level.

0 votes
Jared Atherton October 13, 2015

+1 for this. It is extremely helpful to report and trace bugs on the step level and not just the test case execution level. We have many test cases that have a large number of steps and it is important to identify the step for which the bug relates. We would love to see this in a future release.

0 votes
Helen di Lallo December 1, 2014

I have an update for this topic:

the solution at the top works well if you create the defect at the Test case level.

If you create the defect from the test step, the link is not created.

THis is quite a pain for us as we have scenarios with quite a few steps, and (1) it's nice to capture the defect on the right step and (2) ergonomically it is a pain to have to go from step up to the top to create a defect, and then go down again.

Does anyone know the best way to submit change requests to Zephyr?

Thomas Krause December 2, 2014

I had the same behavior when playing around with Zephyr back in Summer. The linkage works on the test execution level but not on the step level. And that still seems to be the case.

Mahnaz Ahmadi January 3, 2015

I installed Jira 6.3.12 and Zepher plugin 2.5.25201808 and I have the same issue. Link from test step to Jira defect is created automatically but no link from jira defect to test case or test step. Both options for navigation under Zepher configuration are enabled. 1- Any way to make this work? 2- I am only able to create bug from test steps, how do I create bug from Test case level? Thanks

Catbird Operations April 18, 2015

This is a problem for managing defects found using zephyr tests and really needs to be fixed.

Daniel
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 7, 2015

Hi Everyone, This functionality is currently by design, as there is no ability to link a test issue to a step object. I will add an enhancement request to our internal request list. Our product team references this list for possible future release updates. Regards, Daniel

Andrew Rushmer August 11, 2015

Thank you for this, are we able to vote for the fetaure? Regards Dave

Daniel
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 11, 2015

We track them internally and count duplicate requests and comments in this thread as endorsements (upvote, +1, etc) to the request. The more people who visit this thread and comments or create new threads, the more the request gets visibility in our system.

Jared Atherton October 7, 2015

+1 for this. It is extremely helpful to report and trace bugs on the step level and not just the test case execution level. We have many test cases that have a large number of steps and it is important to identify the step for which the bug relates. We would love to see this in a future release.

+1 for this. This would take our dev process to the next level.

0 votes
Helen di Lallo December 1, 2014

Would like to add that we are also interested in having this link created automatically when we create the bug from a test execution. Has anyone found a solution for this ?

0 votes
Rory Murphy November 4, 2014

Any update on this issue?

I've checked and both these are checked but still won't link

"Enable Issue Link from issues to tests" box is checked.

"Enable remote link from issues to test executions" is also checked.

0 votes
Patrick Metzdorf November 14, 2013

Similar here as EdDev_Gilat:

During test execution, if I raise a bug directly from the failing execution step, it does not create a link.

If I go to the issue directly and use More -> Link, I can do it without a problem.

I have installed the latest Zephyr for JIRA version (and latest JIRA), as I only purchased and installed it yesterday.

Any solution to this would be helpful.

Agata Szybowska June 30, 2014

No news... but same here.

Mehmet Kazgan
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 11, 2014

Did you get a resolution here?

Kerrin Hardy October 29, 2014

Same issue here - pretty major issue too. Makes the defect review meeting a nightmare. We are only in the evaluation period for Zephyr for Jira and this is looking like a deal breaker for us. Hopefully it's just something simple that we are missing...

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events