Automatic Transition of issues when they are moved to a sprint

Akhand Pratap Singh January 19, 2021

Hi ,

Is it possible to automatically transit an Issue from backlog to in progress the moment they are added to a sprint which is already started in Jira Cloud.
Suppose I have created and started a sprint 1, Post it's starting date I add an issue to it .
Is it possible to automatically transit that issue to in progress ?

Thank-you 

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Gareth Cantrell
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 19, 2021

Hi @Akhand Pratap Singh 

You could use an automation rule for this, by watching the Sprint field on an issue and then transitioning the issue if the sprint is started.

You will need to ensure that your workflow allows an issue to transition from Backlog directly to In Progress otherwise your automation will fail.

The below screenshot shows an example of how you could achieve this:

Screenshot 2021-01-19 at 13.29.19.png

Akhand Pratap Singh January 19, 2021

Hi @Gareth Cantrell  

When I check audit log after running the automation rule, it says issue did not match condition.. 
But I am moving an issue which is in backlog to a sprint.
Error.PNG

Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 20, 2021

There was a Bug open lately but it is meanwhile resolved despite its status "In Progress"
https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-20717

But nevertheless, could you please try to adjust the rule a bit with this one:

2Automation.png
Edit: of course you will want to transition the issue to "in Progress", not to "Done". Sorry for that - but I think you will get the idea.

Like Akhand Pratap Singh likes this
Gareth Cantrell
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 20, 2021

@Akhand Pratap Singh I'm not sure why your condition is not working. You could try adding a debug log as in the below screenshot to see what the output of the smart value for the sprint is, and make adjustments as required.

Screenshot 2021-01-20 at 15.36.21.png

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events