Automated calculation of priority based on component and impact

Theis Joergensen October 4, 2021

In order to have accurate priotization when customers create Incidents, I would like that they select a component (A service), and an impact level based on our agreement. 

With above two I would like to calculate a priority. The priority field should not be changeable on it's own, only when changing above mentioned fields. 

Also I would like to know if it's possible to create a reference list for the components as these have different urgency levels. 

Example. 

Component 1 + Impact 1 = Priority 1

Component 2 + impact 1 = Priority 3

Thanks in advance, 

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 4, 2021

Hi Theis - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

You should be able to do this with an Automation rule. You could do a trigger based on either of those two fields changing. 

Then add some Conditions with IF/Then with your combinations.

And then under each condition, add an action to set the Priority field. 

You would remove the priority field from the Edit and Create screen and just have it on the View screen. 

Here is some information on Automation to help get you started if you are not familiar with it. 

There are two types of automation:

• Global: In the Free version, you get 100 executions per product, per month
  • Project: In all versions, you get unlimited executions per month

Automation Basics: https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/guides/expand-jira/automation

You can do this via global rules to apply to all projects also. You'll need to be a Jira Admin/Site Admin, go to Jira Settings > System > Automation Rules (left-hand menu).

For more on using Automation For Jira see these help pages.

Jira Automation Template Library to help get you started quickly:

https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/automation-template-library#/labels/all/customLabelId/1453

Theis Joergensen October 6, 2021

Hi John, Thanks a lot for your support - much appreciated. 

No question without a flow up :-)

Automation seems to be what I am looking for but for the current customer the agreed priorities is 1-5. This means I would like to modify from the standard 3 level to 5. I believe this can be done in the admin portal but can I do it just affecting this specific project? And if possible also limit it to only apply for incidents and Service requests in this project?

Thanks again

Theis

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 8, 2021

So, in Jira Cloud you can only have one set of priorities for all projects. :-(

There is a feature request you can vote for and follow here:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-3821

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events