Automate csv import for updating issues and adding new issues (CLI?)

Ross Dammann February 5, 2020

We would like to use CLI (which I believe will work from what I read), to automatically update issues and add new ones from a csv file. We have a csv file that gets dropped to our shared drive, and we want to be able to import that data to 1) update issues and 2) add new issues.

Can someone point me in the direction and/or confirm CLI would work for this?

thanks

1 answer

0 votes
Deleted user February 5, 2020

Hi @Ross Dammann,

We are from BobSwift support team.

Could you please provide us the below details to investigate the issue further:

• Version of the CLI app you are using.
  • Version of the Jira you are using.
  • What is the operating system that you are using.
  • Where is the shared drive located? is it NFS (or) C drive, D drive etc..?

Yes, using our Jira Command Line Interface (CLI) app, you can create/update issues with CLI action commands.

To discuss further on this ticket, we have created a bug request on behalf of you in our portal.

Could you please try to access the ticket https://bobswift.atlassian.net/servicedesk/customer/portal/1/SUPPORT-3503 and signup to our portal here.

Please share the requested details with us in the SUPPORT-3503.

Thanks,
Raja

Ross Dammann February 5, 2020

Thanks Raja for the quick response. I wanted to learn more about using CLI. We currently get a dropped csv file 3 times a day to our shared drive. We have to use the external system function each time to update and/or create new issues inbjira software cloud. The csv data is data from another system. So over 5k records are being updated and, about 100 created every day. How would CLI work for our use case?

Thanks 

Deleted user February 6, 2020

Hi @Ross Dammann ,

Can you please sign up for our portal here: https://bobswift.atlassian.net/servicedesk/customer/portal/1 and provide more information on Support-3503 in order to proceed further on this issue. 

Thanks,

Raja

Ross Dammann February 12, 2020

Hi Raja,

It says I can't view the issues in the portal. 

No Access

You do not have permission to view this request.

View other portals

Any suggestions?@edonate

Deleted user February 13, 2020

Hi @Ross Dammann ,

Can you please check now, whether you are able to access the support ticket: https://bobswift.atlassian.net/servicedesk/customer/portal/1/SUPPORT-3503

Once, you are able to access the link, please share the requested information with us.

Thanks,

Raja

M J November 10, 2020

Hi Raja,

I have similar needs as Ross. Was there a solution using Jira CLI app or command line to bulk update/create tickets daily from same csv and configuration files as the ones needed for the External Import?

Best regards, 

Martin

Reshma Begum _Appfire_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 31, 2023

Summarizing the solution shared in the support request here:

You can use the Jira CLI app to create new issues and update the issue from a csv file. Along wtih the action, you need to use the file parameter. The CSV file should be accessible to the CLI client and should preferably be in the CLI client's local file system.

We do have action createIssue and updateIssue through which you can achieve what you are looking for. You just need to ensure that it has the required/optional parameters to create/update issues .

To create issues, use the required parameters like, (issueType or type), (project or parent).

For example, you can use "createIssue" action to create issues from a csv file.

--action runFromCsv --file "3503-create.csv"

create-issue.jpg 

Also, you can use "updateIssue" action to update issues from a csv file. The parameter issue is mandatory for this action.

--action runFromCsv --file "3503-update.csv"

updateissue.jpg

Alternatively, you can run something like the following so that this action will run by picking the issue details from the csv file.

--action runFromCsv --file test.csv --common "--action createIssue" --continue

Thanks 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events