Auto-Assigning Sub-Tasks via Automation

David Oliver April 25, 2024

I have an automation I've setup to auto-create predefined sub-tasks with specific predefined summaries when an issue is created. I need one of the sub-tasks to auto-assign to either one user or another depending on a field in the parent issue. I've tried several different methods but cannot get this to function as expected. 

My current automation that I'm sure should work is a secondary automation to the sub-task automation that looks for:

• When issue is created
  • Summary starts with ... (to look for the correct sub-task, when it's created)
  • And Parent field matches ... (to look for the dependent parent field)
  • Then assign the issue to ... (to assign the user associated with that field)
  • And add watchers ... (to add the watcher associated with that field)

It won't work - even if I add in a re-fetch data after the issue is created. 

Suggestions?

1 answer

0 votes
Stefan Salzl
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 25, 2024

Hi @David Oliver 

Could you please share a screenshot of your automation rule and especially the component the does the assignment?

Just to be sure I got it right:
Your parent issue has user picker field and you would like to assign the created subtask to the user that is in the field? And furthermore add this user as watcher (which confuses me - why adding someone as assignee AND watcher?)

Please let me know if I got anything wrong.

Best
Stefan

David Oliver April 26, 2024

Hi Stefan,

Sure! 

Here is the main automation for creating the sub-tasks:

Sub-Tasks.JPG

Sub-Task #3 I need to assign either one user or another depending on field in the parent ticket.

Here is a separate automation where I'm trying to identify the sub-task by the Summary name (which always starts with the same prefix) and look to the parent ticket to ID the product type so that it can auto-assign the ticket correctly to the correct user.

Auto-Assignment.JPG

I have another separate automation for the other product that gets assigned to a different user - but same configuration as the one above. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events