Assigning Stories to wrong sprints

tyrone kimble October 9, 2020

Occasionally one of our users will assign a story to another projects sprint.  When this occurs it assigns the original stories sprint to the project whose sprint was selected.  So if a story in project A is inadvertently assigned to project B, project A's active sprint appears in project B backlog as an active sprint.  

We are running dozens of projects.  When assigning a story to a sprint the sprint drop-down currently presents all project sprints. Is there a Jira configuration setting that will only allow the selected projects sprints to appear vs all project sprints?

2 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 9, 2020

No, sprints are not project specific. As of Jira Server 8.11 you can restrict what is being shown in the sprint field, see JSWSERVER-10805, and there is a request to have it implemented in Jira Cloud as well, JSWCLOUD-10805.

The way we work around it is to only use the board to assign sprints, that way you will not end up in a situation were the user select the wrong sprint (as long as the board is only looking at one project). At my previous job they worked around it by making the sprint name specific to the project by adding the project key in the sprint name. 

Thank you....

0 votes
Answer accepted
Ravi Sagar _Sparxsys_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 9, 2020

Hi @tyrone kimble 

Trying to understand the problem. The story point estimation is done for a specific story, SCRUM board not projects is configured to display those stories with total story points in a specific sprint.

So I think it is all about how to configure the board. If you want on one board to display only issues of a specific project then configure the filter associated with that board.

Let me know if I didn't understand your problem correctly.

Ravi

thanks for your response.  the idea is to restrict selection of sprints to projects where the sprint originated when using the sprint drop down option.  should not be able to select other projects sprints when assigning stories....

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events