Asset Tracker vs. Assets and Inventory Plugin vs. JIRA for asset management

Andreas Blackmann August 1, 2017

Hey everybody,

What is the difference in functionality, if any, between:

1. Asset Tracker (3rd party verified plugin, free, by Spartez)

and..

2. Inventory Plugin for JIRA (3rd party "verified" plugin, not free, by Snapbytes)

3. JIRA for asset management, (free)

?

I'm an economics student and I have to find a possibility to manage our IT assets.

Thank you very much!

5 answers

3 votes
Martijn Boerwinkel August 4, 2017

Hi Nic,

First of all I would recommend you to install and evaluate all the alternatives. Then you will see the best fit for you. This is exactly what we did. From our impressions: 

1. "Asset Tracker": promising add-on. UI is a little bir old fashioned and complex. It was our second choice. Import and CMDB feature is great (but we do not have CMDB at all). Second add-on's import was easier. You can link issues to assets. Then you can continue to manage you asset's buisness flow with Jira workflow.

2. "Assets and Inventory Plugin for JIRA". Best add-on for our needs so we went this with plugin.  It simply does what it promises. We use it now for two months and we are very happy so far. We started from the built-in forms and modified them according to our needs. Then we could import our assets from excel and it saved us a lot of time. Now we manage our asset tracking flow with this plugin and JIRA. You link issue to asset with Custom Field, very Jira way.

3. JIRA for asset management, (free) You need to do a lot of configuratioın. At the end it becomes more costly.

4. "Insight - Asset Management for JIRA": Good plugin with lots of nice features. It has export/import, cmd support, graphical reports, advanced workflows, etc.. But it is "over priced". We didn't want to pay for the features we do not need.

Best Regards,

Martijn

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 4, 2017

Um, I think you've misunderstood.  I was trying to answer a question.

I'm more than aware of this process, to the point where I cheat - I know some of the authors of the software!

Like khalid Bsheer likes this
Martijn Boerwinkel August 4, 2017

Sorry Nic, you are right, my mistake. I should have started with "Hi Andreas". I was giving the answer to him.

Best regards

Martijn

Like khalid Bsheer likes this
mark_baldwin October 28, 2020

Cheers for the heads up. 

Does anyone have any alternatives to Insight, as the cost is too much. 

We really don't need to license all users but apps don't let you get around it any other way. 

Daniel Fietta
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 28, 2020

HI @mark_baldwin do you use Jira Cloud or Jira Server/Data Center?

mark_baldwin October 30, 2020

Hi @Daniel Fietta we're using Jira Cloud. 

2 votes
Eric Cross September 24, 2020

FYI, Asset Tracker for JIRA has announced end of life:

Important: Asset Tracker End of Life Announcement (31 Jan 2022)

https://confluence.spartez-software.com/display/AT4J

1 vote
Magdalena Zacharczuk January 22, 2019

Hi Andreas,

Apologies for joining this thread so late, but I guess better late than never. Since the topic of comparison has already been very much covered by Nic and Martijn (many thanks, guys!), I’d just like to slip in a short update on the part of Spartez, the vendor behind Asset Tracker for Jira.

Apart from functionalities and features, what makes Asset Tracker for Jira unique is the quality of our support. This is underlined in almost every user review we get.

Asset Tracker for Jira is no longer free, the current (moderate) pricing can be found here: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1212115/asset-tracker-for-jira-itam-made-easy?hosting=server&tab=pricing

Also, we’ve recently done an Asset Tracker webinar with Seibert/Media, which featured a comparison to Riada’s Insight Asset Manager. The webinar gives a thorough overview of what Asset Tracker currently has to offer. You can find it here: https://youtu.be/NZITWcYr9I4

Hope this helps!

Michael Fitzgerald March 3, 2020

Hello Magdalena, Raj (& All), 

I am also late to this discussion based on an expanding role.

I am very surprised to see so little discussion on this topic over the last 2+ years.  

I appreciate all the discussion to this point - and as suggested, I will investigate available options for Asset Tracking/Inventory plugins independently.

I will also be looking into the suggestion from Raj (8/13/2017) regarding use of Device42 with JIRA integration. We currently use both JIRA and Device42 - but the tools are not currently integrated, so I am interested to see what benefits/enhancements are available with integration as well as additional cost. 

I will be comparing this with the use of JIRA with other inventory/asset tracking for functionality and cost.  

I do welcome any other feedback on this topic - as I am sure the must be many others who have considered use of JIRA for Asset/Inventory Tracking vs other external products. 

Cheers!

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 1, 2017

You'd have to compare the various options to see what they provide.

I'd add Riada's Insight into the mix too.

Andreas Blackmann August 1, 2017

Riada's Insight is for asset management in the whole company, including finance, human ressource or facility management, right?

But first of all, we only want to manage our IT assets. So Insight would be to complex and expensive for this usage.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 2, 2017

It doesn't have to be doing everything.  I've worked with three clients who are only using it for IT assets, and two others who are doing IT assets + other (one is building management, the other a form of CRM)

0 votes
Raj Jalan August 13, 2017

Andreas,

For manual management, all the tools mentioned above are good. But if you are also looking to auto-discover your IT assets, I would recommend also looking at our product: http://www.device42.com/integrations/jira/ 

Regards,

Raj

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events