After upgrading from jira 4.4 to 5.0.5 and upgrading to Commit 1.6 getting Fatal Error on SVN Commit

Christopher Warin May 24, 2012

We upgraded Jira from 4.4 to 5.0.5. The upgrade was sucesfull.

We then installed commit 1.6

After upgrading/ installing commit 1.6 it runs fine in the jira admin plugin area but when we try to commit with svn a message comes back saying "Cannot commit, jira experienced a fatal error, this error has been logged...".

We reverted back to Jira 4.4 and commit 1.5.1 and it works fine again.

We are eagerly awaiting a fix for commit so that we can upgrade to jira 5. Without commit we cannot upgrade and are at a standstill until the issue is resolved.

6 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Norman Abramovitz
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 24, 2012

Now that I can see it is a pre-commit error, it is the svn hook code that is returning the error. Did you install that code on your svn server that came with the 1.6 release? It should have a version string 163040 2011-08-16 in the perl or python script.

The scripts that I saw have some variables that might need to be set set as well.

Did you also enable the Jira system rpc plugin for xmlrpc? It is under adminstration, plugins, system plugins.

Since it was the pre-commit code you can run the script you chosen (python or perl) manually from the svn server machine and continue to debug if one of the above ideas still does not solve your issue.

I also saw some notes on the plugin documentation website about some code potential code changes. I did not check if those code changes was integrated or not since I do not know if you are using python or perl.

0 votes

I downloaded the item from the commit website https://studio.plugins.atlassian.com/wiki/display/CMMT/JIRA+Commit+Acceptance

Downloaded the client script 1.4.1 and the latest scripts say in the header: # $Id: jira-client.py 20980 2009-07-23 06:16:03Z dchui $

I didn’t try the newest clientscript from the source control. I think that might be the issue.

Please update the homepage to reflect a link to 1.6.

Norman Abramovitz
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 24, 2012

All the files you need are in the jar file even the svn server files downloaded from https://plugins.atlassian.com/plugins/com.atlassian.jira.ext.commitacceptance

You should not need to go to the source control tree.

Norman Abramovitz
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 25, 2012

I am just an user of Jira just like you lending out my expertise. So, I cannot update the atlassian's documentation. Please remember to reward people with marking their answers as valid if it helps you and you can your votes to give people a boost in their karma points!

Christopher Warin May 25, 2012

Thanks for your help. The chain of events that traspired.

I upgraded to 5.0.5 but used the old client python script. After many attempts to login the user account that i setup to access jira for commit was locked out and required the captcha login.

After i updated to the latest client script located in the source control tree, it still stated i was having issues so I went to the jira user management and reset the account and it worked.

0 votes
Norman Abramovitz
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 24, 2012

The jira log file should contain some java tracebacks.

0 votes

just reverted back to jira 4.4 w/ commit 1.5.1 and the error went away.

Its definetly something w/ jira 5.0.5 and commit 1.6

What log file do you want to see?

System info:

Running Centos Linux 5.8

<th>JVM Version</th> <th>Java VM</th> <th>User Name</th> <th>Application Server Container</th> <th>System Time</th> <th>Database JNDI address</th> <th>Current Working Directory</th> <th>External user management</th> <th>User Timezone</th> <th>Java Vendor</th> <th>User Locale</th> <th>Database driver</th> <th>Operating System</th> <th>System Date</th> <th>Crowd integration</th> <th>Database version</th> <th>Database type</th> <th>Java Runtime</th> <th>System Encoding</th> <th>JVM Implementation Version</th> <th>OS Architecture</th> <th>Java Version</th>
Java HotSpot(TM) Server VM
jira
22:13:01 -0400
mysql jdbc:mysql://localhost/jiradb?useUnicode=true&characterEncoding=UTF8
/usr/local/jira/logs
ON
US/Eastern
Sun Microsystems Inc.
English (United States)
MySQL-AB JDBC Driver mysql-connector-java-5.1.10 ( Revision: ${svn.Revision} )
Linux 2.6.18-308.4.1.el5
Thursday, 24 May 2012
ON
mysql
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment
UTF-8
20.1-b02
i386
1.6.0_26

0 votes

jira remote api is enabled. svnlook is accessible. these 2 items haven't changed. As a test if I modify the svnlook it says svnlook error so i believe svnlook path is ok.

Below is the svn feedback

Commit failed (details follow):
Commit blocked by pre-commit hook (exit code 1) with output:
Committer: chris.warin
Commit message: "testing commit CS-1498: test"
Commit rejected: A fatal error occurred in JIRA and has been logged. Contact
your system administrator.

0 votes
Norman Abramovitz
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 24, 2012

Only educated guesses can be made without seeing the log file information. Do you have a test environment to reproduce the error in.? What is your platform you are running on?

Did you remember to enable Jira's remote API calls? Was svnlook accessable?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events