Additional Documentation For Insigfht

Knox McCormac December 26, 2019

I am fairly new to Jira Service desk, 1year, and even newer to Insight. I have been reading what little documentation is available from MindVille on Insight and how to configure and use it. I am very confused about the relationships of Object, nested Objects, inheritance and so on. I have a lot of experience with databases and understand on that level how I would like to use Insight to track all of our Objects that we need to support through Service Desk. The would be software, software versions, workstations ., licenses, service contracts, users, and so on. What I don't get is how Insight relates to the structure of a database in regards to relationships and viewable fields. Maybe I am approaching this from the wrong end.

Here is an example of something I am finding hard to implement. Say I want to track IP addresses, subnets and types of subnets. At the top of my tree would be types of subnets. These would then have the subnets assigned to the type. Each subnet would then have 255 unique values for that particular subnet. When I view the subnet type I would like to see my types, say high, low and it. If I select a type I would then like to see the subnets that have that type value. Now when I select a subnet I could see all the ip address and so on down to the device the ip address is assigned to. In a database form I understand how to build this but not using Insight's terminology.

So the short question is: Are there any additional documentation that goes deeper into the Insight structure and how the different piece reference each other? Maybe there is an on-line training class or tutorial that would be helpful. I have not been able to find a lot in this regard.

Thanks for being patient with the noise.

1 answer

0 votes
Craig Haynal
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 2, 2020

I found these three blog posts to be among the most useful in understanding Insight's capabilities and some of the basics:

I recall finding some YouTube videos and various answers here on the community (search for the tag "insight"), too.

In the example you describe, I would probably create two object types: Subnet and IP Address.  I would create the object type of Subnet first; I would recommend keeping it simple and storing that as a Select attribute unless you have supplemental data that needs to be stored along with it (in which case you could make an object type and create a reference from the Subnet object type).  The IP Address objects would have an attribute of type Object that points to the Subnet object type with cardinality of 1.  That way each IP address can exist in only one Subnet, and you will be able to see all of the IP addresses for that Subnet through the Inbound References on each Subnet's object.  Try it out; it makes more sense once you have created a few object types and have experienced how the relationships work.

My biggest piece of advice would be to keep your object schemas as simple as possible to meet your use case.

Knox McCormac January 3, 2020

Hi Craig,

Thanks a lot for your answers. I will go read through those documents to see what I can pickup.

I also found some of the YouTube video but the ones I found did not go into any depth.

I will do my best to heed your advice. I can't promise anything but I am always open to hear what others have run into.

Have a great weekend.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events