Add-on without trial version

Michał Boruta April 12, 2022

We were asked to create app for Jira Cloud which won't have any trial version, I mean future users need to buy it without possibilities to try it previously.

Is it even possible/allowed by Atlassian licenses? I haven't seen any similar situations described on chats or forums. I'm searching for configurational solutions, excluding specific plugin behaviour, if it will find trial license.

I'll be grateful for any hints and tips.

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Sven Schatter _K15t_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
April 12, 2022

Hi @Michał Boruta,

From a licensing point of view this will not be possible if you plan to go with the "Paid via Atlassian" option for your app. If you do not want to allow customer trialing your app you'll have to implement that via the "Paid via Vendor" option which comes with a lot of downsides, such as you having to provide payment and licensing infrastructure as well as making billing more complicated for customers.

You can find more information here: https://developer.atlassian.com/platform/marketplace/pricing-payment-and-billing/

Cheers,
Sven

Sven Schatter _K15t_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
April 12, 2022

Well, to be precise, you could very well build logic into your app that disables functionality if you detect a trial license. And I believe there are several apps out there that restrict the use of certain features when being trialed.

However, fully disabling your app when it's being trialed doesn't make a lot of sense. In Cloud, customers are actually forced to start a 30-day trial before they can buy your app. Also, the Marketplace and "Manage apps" UI will tell your customers that they can trial your app for 30 days with no way for you to change that.

The only way to get around that is to go with "Paid via Vendor" as described in my previous answer.

Cheers,
Sven

Michał Boruta April 13, 2022

@Sven Schatter _K15t_

Thank you for your answer, it dispels my doubts.

Like Sven Schatter _K15t_ likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events