A simple guide to set up Dynamic Forms in Jira Service Desk

3-simple-steps-to-set-up-dynamic-forms-.png

When it comes to raising a service desk request, time and details count. However, users value the simplicity of the request forms, which they don’t always get. Especially when it comes to issues that require in-depth details, “simple” isn’t the word that describes the form. Such requests usually mean plenty of ‘important’ fields to fill, making the questionnaire longish and over-detailed, which in turn makes it hard to tell which questions are really important and which we can skip. That also relates to Jira Service Desk where default request forms are static. To make simplicity and detailed go together in terms of its request forms, we can turn to apps like Extension for Jira Service Desk featuring Dynamic Forms which provide a quantum boost for Jira Service Desk user experience. 

Dynamic Forms configuration in Jira Service Desk

Server

Just like filling in the request form shouldn’t be that complicated, setting up Dynamic Forms is also quite easy. We only need to:

1. Go to Issues in Jira Administration menu and in Custom fields, click on Add custom field, select the field type and create necessary fields.
    • Remember that we can only choose from Single Select, Multi Select, Cascading Select, Dynamic Select, Checkboxes, and Radio Buttons.
  2. To go to the global configuration, move to Manage apps and click on Dynamic Forms in Extension for Jira Service Desk section. For project configuration, go to Dynamic Forms in Extension section of Project Settings.
  3. Add the field to configure and select Related fields for each option.
  4. Go to Request Types in Project Settings, click Edit fields by the specific request type, then Add a field and select both master and related fields.

ezgif.com-optimize.gif

For example, we have a Hardware field where the user can choose if they want to order a laptop, monitor or something else. To the laptop option, we link the Operating system field. There, we relate Brand and Screen resolution fields with Windows option. This way, each time a user wants to order a laptop, the question about the operating system will show up. And once they choose Windows, the form will extend by additional questions about a laptop brand and screen resolution.

Cloud

Extension for Jira Service Desk is available on Cloud instances as well. The Cloud version of the app also involves only a 3-step setup of Dynamic Forms, though it’s slightly different from the Server one because we need to define validators and conditions for the fields instead of choosing a master field and assigning related fields to the options.

Extension for Jira Service Desk vs Dynamic Forms for Jira

AZ5_fLwo.png

Frequently, we receive questions about the difference between Dynamic Forms featured in Extension for Jira Service Desk and our other app, Dynamic Forms for Jira. In both cases, the aim is the same – improving the user’s experience with Jira Service Desk and Jira respectively. And even though Dynamic Forms for Jira is based on the Extension app feature, there are more differences than similarities.

Starting with the most obvious one, the Extension app is dedicated to Jira Service Desk, while Dynamic Forms is for Jira Software. Also, there’s a Cloud version of the former.

Then we have fields supported by the apps. To build a dynamic request form, we use two kinds of fields: master and related fields. The former is the main dynamic field with various options to choose from. The latter one is the one we link to a specific option of the master field so that when the user chooses this option, the appropriate field will show up, expanding the form. Dynamic Forms for Jira and Extension for Jira Service Desk vary when it comes to what kind of fields we can use for either master or related fields. When it comes to master fields:

• in Jira Software, we use custom fields provided by Dynamic Forms app;
  • in Jira Service Desk, we can use Priority and Component Jira field, standard custom fields mentioned before (i.e. Single Select, Multi Select, etc.), as well as Dynamic Select fields from Dynamic Forms for Jira.

As for the related fields:

• in Jira Software, we can use all Jira fields, standard custom fields, custom fields provided by Dynamic Forms app, and Bundled Fields from Extension;
  • in Jira Service Desk, we can use the same fields as in case of Jira, adding to that the ones provided by Elements Connect (nFeednFeed – Date, nFeed – DateTime’).

Another major difference is that Dynamic Forms for Jira provides visualization of the field relations as well as tooltips and required validation messages with translations for related fields.

Adding dynamics to the request form

Even though Dynamic Forms are quite different depending on the app, they still serve one purpose – to make the experience as seamless and trouble-free as possible for the customers. This means that they will spend less time and fewer nerves figuring out which fields they should focus on because the appropriate ones will show up according to their answers. By adding dynamic fields to the request form, we replace longish and over-detailed forms with the top-down ones.

Read more about Dynamic Forms for Jira Software and Service Desk:

34 comments

Comment

Vishal Gamji September 18, 2018

Can project name be dynamic i.e. based on selection of custom field drop-down(s)? I need requests routed to IT Support, IS-Dev, and IS-Ops based on the selection and all three have different projects.

Dzmitry Hryb _Deviniti_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
September 18, 2018

Hi Vishal,

I suppose you're asking about Jira Service Desk, right? Then you can solve this by setting up separate request types for each project. If you're on Cloud, it's even easier for the end users with the new UI, as it will be basically a dropdown menu inside the Customer Portal that your users choose.

Cheers,

Dzmitry

Gabriel Viger October 15, 2018

Hello!

When will this add-on be available for Cloud?

Thanks!

Gabriel

Dzmitry Hryb _Deviniti_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
October 16, 2018

Hi @Gabriel Viger,

Which one are you asking about? We're already working on Extension for Jira Service Desk Cloud, which will contain the Dynamic Forms functionality. As to Dynamic Forms for Jira, right now it's not on the roadmap, as we've got slightly different priorities for the upcoming year.

Cheers,

Dzmitry

Gabriel Viger October 16, 2018

Hi @Dzmitry Hryb _Deviniti_,

I was referring to the extension for Jira Service Desk Cloud.

Any dates? I would need an add-on like yours to complete my proof of concept on using Jira Service Desk as our ITSM tool at the Aldo Group.

Thanks!

Gabriel

Dzmitry Hryb _Deviniti_
Marketplace Partner
October 22, 2018

@Gabriel Viger,

We're working on the configuration part right now, so I can safely assume that with all the testing and stuff it will take us 1-2 months to release the first Cloud version.

Dzmitry

Gabriel Viger October 22, 2018

Thanks @Dzmitry Hryb _Deviniti_!

Let me know when you will launch it officially :)

Gabriel

Chima Abah October 24, 2018

Hi, I've performed all the steps from the instructions above. videos too but somehow can't get the cascaded forms(different options) added to the custom fields to show up. any suggestions?

Dzmitry Hryb _Deviniti_
Marketplace Partner
October 25, 2018

Hi @Chima Abah,

Two questions to be precise:

1. Are you trying it with Extension for Jira Service Desk or Dynamic Forms for Jira?

2. If I get you right, you've added some options to a custom Select field, but they are not displaying on the Dynamic Forms configuration. Is that correct?

Please provide a screenshot, so we could investigate further.

Chima Abah October 25, 2018

Hi @Dzmitry Hryb _Deviniti_, I am using the Extension for Jira Service Desk. I can configure them but they do not show up on the customer/ticketing end.

Dzmitry Hryb _Deviniti_
Marketplace Partner
October 25, 2018

@Chima Abah,

Please file a ticket to our Service Desk and provide our team with a Support file, a configuration screenshot and all the information you have about the problem. They will help you out :)

Dzmitry Hryb _Deviniti_
Marketplace Partner
December 14, 2018

Hi @Gabriel Viger,

I'm happy to inform you that Extension for Jira Service Desk Cloud is on the Atlassian Marketplace! Try out the Dynamic Forms feature: http://bit.ly/2Cd1H7N

Please keep in mind that the configuration is slightly different due to technical limitations of Cloud hosting. We're preparing a guide article similar to this one, and for now you can make use of the documentation: http://bit.ly/2CclF2b

Feel free to ask any questions that may arise.

Dzmitry

Gabriel Viger December 20, 2018

Thanks @Dzmitry Hryb _Deviniti_!

I will look into it when I come back from vacation.

Happy Holidays!

Gabriel

Nicolas July 23, 2019

give us a jira 7 documentation, into the addon zone i have just 1 option. This plugin is not working for us

Dzmitry Hryb _Deviniti_
Marketplace Partner
July 23, 2019

Hi @Nicolas ,

Do you mean Dynamic Forms for Jira or Extension for Jira Service Desk? We would need more information to solve your problem. Could you please attach a screenshot?

Cheers,

Dzmitry

мария аношина November 11, 2019

Good afternoon. I know, I asked you about dynamic fields and elements connect. But there is generally the possibility of a dynamic form based on data from the database in jira service desk ?

Dzmitry Hryb _Deviniti_
Marketplace Partner
December 2, 2019

Hi  @мария аношина ,

Dynamic Forms are triggered based on fields' values. What you're asking about is an interesting extension for this feature :)

Please submit a new feature request in our Service Desk. The Support team will pass this over to the Product Owner for investigation.

Cheers,

Dzmitry

venkatesh December 11, 2019

Hi Dzmitry,

I have a date time field. based on the time value i want to display some text field dynamically.

Is it possible through dynamic forms plug-in?

If possible kindly help me with the procedure.

Thanks & Regards,

Venkatesh PALAVAI.

Dzmitry Hryb _Deviniti_
Marketplace Partner
December 11, 2019

Hi @venkatesh,

Unfortunately, we don't support Date/Time fields as master fields at the moment. Feel free to submit a new feature request in our Service Desk.

Unless you're on Cloud, then we can do it! It's slightly different from Server in terms of configuration, so here's another article with a step-by-step guide and technical documentation of the feature.

Best,

Dzmitry

Zofia.Kubik January 6, 2020

Hello,

Is there a way to make dynamic fields required in the form, just like regular/custom fields?

We're trying to make the experience easy for both customers & internal support teams, we're testing setting up forms configured in a way to make sure we capture all necessary data for each type of request, but I can't figure out a way to make the dynamic forms mandatory...

Thanks!

Zofia

Dzmitry Hryb _Deviniti_
Marketplace Partner
January 7, 2020

Hi @Zofia.Kubik ,

Making fields inside a Dynamic Form required or optional is a matter of ticking a checkbox on the configuration screen. Feel free to check this out on the documentation page about the feature.

Cheers,

Dzmitry

Zofia.Kubik January 7, 2020

Hi Dzmitry,

I can't seem to be able to find those same functions in Jira Service Desk Cloud - there is not 'required' toggle as in the documentation page showing options for the Server version.

Is there a way to do it in JSD Cloud?

Thank you!

Zofia

Dzmitry Hryb _Deviniti_
Marketplace Partner
January 7, 2020

@Zofia.Kubik ,

On Cloud, this is set up as a validator for the field. Check out how to do it here.

Like Zofia.Kubik likes this
Lyndon Christian February 2, 2020

When ordering dynamic fields with regular request list custom fields, how do you order them so they don't appear down the bottom of the from, Currently the regular fields are greyed out in the dynamic section and the dynamic field is not able to be added to the form.

Dzmitry Hryb _Deviniti_
Marketplace Partner
February 4, 2020

Hi @Lyndon Christian,

If I get you right, you're talking about Jira Service Desk Cloud. Unfortunately, this is a technical limitation by Atlassian which prevents us from mixing the system fields with the dynamic ones. The dynamic section will be at the bottom of the form until we find a way to do otherwise. Sorry about that.

Dzmitry

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events