It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

3 Simple Steps to Set Up Dynamic Forms in Jira

3-steps-set-up-dynamic-forms-jira.png

Dynamic Forms provides a quantum boost for Jira user experience - both as a feature inside Extension for Jira Service Desk, or as a standalone app for Jira Software. Recently, we've revamped its configuration to make building winning user interfaces and Customer Portals more intuitive. Now you set up a Dynamic Form in 3 simple steps - here's how.

Step 1: Create custom fields

Should your desired Dynamic Form contain any custom fields, you have to create them first. Go to Administration → Issues → Custom fields, hit Add custom field and select the field type. Dynamic Forms supports Single Select, Multi Select, Cascading Select, Dynamic Select, Checkbox and Radio Button field types, both in Extension for Jira Service Desk and standalone. On the next screen, provide the field's name and the options you would like to let your users choose from. After that, add the newly created field to the screens on which they will appear. If you configure the form for Jira Service Desk, you should also add all its custom fields to the appropriate request types in the corresponding Project settings.

Here's the video of what it looks like.

Step 2: Set up a Dynamic Forms configuration

Now you're ready to configure the Dynamic Form itself. The Global Configuration for all your projects is situated in Administration → Add-ons section, and the Project one is under the Project settings of your target project. Hit the blue button to create a new form and choose the master field, and then select the related fields for each of the options. You can make those fields required, keep the default value (if there's one provided in the Custom fields settings) and specify the context for them to appear. If you choose to disable a form, it will remain there as a draft and will be available for later use.

Look how easy it is on the next video.

Step 3: Enjoy the result

That's it, you're done! Now your users will fill in the Dynamic Form you created on the Create Issue screen.

Notice how the fields change upon selecting different options on the third video.

This is a follow-up article for the webinar on the latest version of Extension for Jira Service Desk - the most wanted feature bundle for your Customer Portal. Read more about the improvements and new features, or watch the recording.

Try out Extension for Jira Service Desk or Dynamic Forms for Jira on the Atlassian Marketplace.

Have questions? Drop us a line via LiveChat at https://deviniti.com/support, or book a session at https://calendly.com/deviniti.

Also published on Deviniti blog and LinkedIn.

13 comments

Vishal Gamji Sep 18, 2018

Can project name be dynamic i.e. based on selection of custom field drop-down(s)? I need requests routed to IT Support, IS-Dev, and IS-Ops based on the selection and all three have different projects.

Dzmitry Hryb [Deviniti] Sep 18, 2018 • edited

Hi Vishal,

I suppose you're asking about Jira Service Desk, right? Then you can solve this by setting up separate request types for each project. If you're on Cloud, it's even easier for the end users with the new UI, as it will be basically a dropdown menu inside the Customer Portal that your users choose.

Cheers,

Dzmitry

Gabriel Viger Oct 15, 2018

Hello!

When will this add-on be available for Cloud?

Thanks!

Gabriel

Dzmitry Hryb [Deviniti] Oct 16, 2018 • edited

Hi @Gabriel Viger,

Which one are you asking about? We're already working on Extension for Jira Service Desk Cloud, which will contain the Dynamic Forms functionality. As to Dynamic Forms for Jira, right now it's not on the roadmap, as we've got slightly different priorities for the upcoming year.

Cheers,

Dzmitry

Gabriel Viger Oct 16, 2018

Hi @Dzmitry Hryb [Deviniti],

I was referring to the extension for Jira Service Desk Cloud.

Any dates? I would need an add-on like yours to complete my proof of concept on using Jira Service Desk as our ITSM tool at the Aldo Group.

Thanks!

Gabriel

@Gabriel Viger,

We're working on the configuration part right now, so I can safely assume that with all the testing and stuff it will take us 1-2 months to release the first Cloud version.

Dzmitry

Gabriel Viger Oct 22, 2018

Thanks @Dzmitry Hryb [Deviniti]!

Let me know when you will launch it officially :)

Gabriel

Chima Abah Oct 24, 2018 • edited

Hi, I've performed all the steps from the instructions above. videos too but somehow can't get the cascaded forms(different options) added to the custom fields to show up. any suggestions?

Hi @Chima Abah,

Two questions to be precise:

1. Are you trying it with Extension for Jira Service Desk or Dynamic Forms for Jira?

2. If I get you right, you've added some options to a custom Select field, but they are not displaying on the Dynamic Forms configuration. Is that correct?

Please provide a screenshot, so we could investigate further.

Chima Abah Oct 25, 2018 • edited

Hi @Dzmitry Hryb [Deviniti], I am using the Extension for Jira Service Desk. I can configure them but they do not show up on the customer/ticketing end.

@Chima Abah,

Please file a ticket to our Service Desk and provide our team with a Support file, a configuration screenshot and all the information you have about the problem. They will help you out :)

Hi @Gabriel Viger,

I'm happy to inform you that Extension for Jira Service Desk Cloud is on the Atlassian Marketplace! Try out the Dynamic Forms feature: http://bit.ly/2Cd1H7N

Please keep in mind that the configuration is slightly different due to technical limitations of Cloud hosting. We're preparing a guide article similar to this one, and for now you can make use of the documentation: http://bit.ly/2CclF2b

Feel free to ask any questions that may arise.

Dzmitry

Gabriel Viger Dec 20, 2018

Thanks @Dzmitry Hryb [Deviniti]!

I will look into it when I come back from vacation.

Happy Holidays!

Gabriel

Comment

Community showcase
Posted in Marketplace Apps & Integrations

Demo Den Ep. 4: Continuous Integration with CircleCI & Jira Software

Get ready! Demo Den Episode 4 is coming your way on Tuesday, May 28, 2018 with a Continuous Integration and Delivery special demo. CircleCI Director of Solutions Engineering, Eddie Webb will show us ...

525 views 0 4
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you